American Express Travel issue

Status
Not open for further replies.

pangwen

Qantas
Bronze
Virgin
Platinum
Just woken up after a bit of a stressful night (with some elements of resolution still pending) - just wanted to see what the brains trust would have done differently! WARNING: Long story ahead

tl;dr I booked accommodation using Platinum Edge credit. Hotel didn't get booking/payment. I had to book another location on the spot. What should I do?

I had redeemed my $200 Platinum Edge travel credit on a one-night stay in Melbourne. At this particular location, on-site reception closes at 8pm, and there was a 'night reception' phone at the front with what appeared to be a key box. On arriving at my accomodation at around 8:45pm, I used this phone to try to check in and was told that my booking could not be found.

After some discussion, I forwarded them my Amex confirmation email (which stated that I didn't need to call to re-confirm). They still couldn't find my booking, but offered to let me stay at one of their other locations which did have staffed reception at night (about a 10 minute walk away - perhaps 15 with luggage). They would honour my rate, BUT as they (said they) didn't receive any payment from American Express travel, I would need to pay them there and seek reimbursement from Amex.

My next step was to contact Amex. Unfortunately the number I had on my booking stated they were only open until 6pm so that didn't work, so I called through the number on the back of the credit card instead. After explaining the situation, the agent offered to talk to the night reception. After being put on hold for a little while (this was about 30-40 mins after I arrived at the accommodation by this stage), the agent came back and explained that the booking I made was processed by a third party processor who didn't have rights to sell rooms at this location?! The agent then suggested I take up the night reception's offer of going to their other location and paying for the room there, and suggested that Amex could refund my travel credit.

Now that wasn't really going to work for me - I am uncertain when I may be able to use my credit in the future, so I asked whether they could apply the credit to the hotel payment when it came through. The agent said "most likely, but no guarantees" as it needed to be approved by another team that was only in during the day. I then asked instead if we could go to another hotel in the area as it was getting quite late and I wasn't keen on going too far. The agent asked which one - I didn't have a computer so I walked around the corner and remembered the Doubletree was about a block away and suggested that one. The room was slightly (~$25) more than the travel credit value, but the agent said they would make notes and follow up with management tomorrow (today now) to get the extra credited to my account. They also said that they would email me some notes of the conversation (which hasn't happened yet...).

Now that I'm a bit more rested and my brain is back into gear, I'm just wondering whether there was any other way to approach this? Would this have been covered by the Platinum Edge insurance (didn't think so)? What are Amex's obligations in this case?

I think it'll depend on the follow-through from Amex at this point.

Whilst clearly a "#fail" on Amex's behalf to "make" the booking in the first place, you got a hotel, and the ideal outcome is they just credit you the room rate.

Will no doubt take some time and followup to make it happen. Best of luck.

That is good news, although troubling that this happened in the first place. I want to know how something through the Amex Travel portal wasn't actually legit.

That is good news, although troubling that this happened in the first place. I want to know how something through the Amex Travel portal wasn't actually legit.
Yes definitely a worry. I have used Amex travel in the past and to redeem travel credit. The actual booking ( for hotels in any case) seemed to be booked through another party who I’d never heard of.
I would hope though that Amex would always take full responsibility for the validity of the booking.

I got the same issue last month. Called the Plat number on my card and they advised me to go to the hotel, use mu Amex card to my for my stay (shouldn’t care how much it costs), keep the receipt and email Amex Travel Online team. I did and they called the hotel (Hilton) to issue a full refund back to my card and I received the money within 10 days.

I got another issue but this one was in my favour so no complains.

Nice to see that it was resolved quickly. It was clearly Amex’s fault in this case.
I think an apology and small amount of points would have been appropriate as compensation.
Arriving at night and finding out your confirmed booking doesn’t exist would have not been a pleasant experience.

slightly different issue for me. I just booked a hotel for August with my travel credit. It didn't cover the whole amount so I charged the rest on my card. That amount was showing as pending for a few days which I thought was strange. Suddenly, I see the charge has disappeared altogether and that got me worried so I called the hotel and they said yes, they can see my prepaid reservation. Should I be worried?

slightly different issue for me. I just booked a hotel for August with my travel credit. It didn't cover the whole amount so I charged the rest on my card. That amount was showing as pending for a few days which I thought was strange. Suddenly, I see the charge has disappeared altogether and that got me worried so I called the hotel and they said yes, they can see my prepaid reservation. Should I be worried?

This is normal, the charge should appear soon.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back