Ambassador

Discussion in 'IHG Rewards Club' started by davidsilver, Oct 12, 2017.

1. davidsilver

davidsilver Member

Aug 1, 2014
    I read that when purchasing Ambassador you are enrolled at IHG Gold Elite level. If you're already Platinum Elite you would obviously stay at that level.

If it looks likely that you won't retain Platinum elite and purchase Ambassador, do they keep you at that level or would you drop accordingly to Gold for the next year?

Registered Users have the option of removing this and all other advertisementsMoreā€¦

2. samh004

Apr 1, 2009
    Gold Coast
    Flight Map:
    View my flight map
    Twitter:
    Facebook:
    Google+:
    Linkedin:
    Instagram:
    I would imagine you drop to Gold, but have not been in this situation (yet).

3. oz_mark

oz_mark Enthusiast

Jun 30, 2002
    Melbourne
    Flight Map:
    View my flight map
    There are anecdotes around that suggest you stay at the level - although there is nothing official that I have seen about this.

4. eric2011

eric2011 Established Member

Feb 5, 2011
    Brisbane - Northside
    Flight Map:
    View my flight map
    2 years ago I got to Spire level (in my own right) and my ambassador membership. Last year I only managed to get to Platinum level but when I bought (re-newed) my Ambassador membership I retained Spire. This year I am only getting to Platinum level again and my account shows I will retain my current level (spire) until end of 2018. Who knows what happens in the IHG camp.

As an aside......You get absolutely no extra perks for Spire that you get for Platinum. Certainly wouldn't go the extra mile to obtain it

5. docjames

docjames Senior Member

Jul 10, 2007
    Melbourne
    Flight Map:
    View my flight map
    I was Plat when I enrolled to Ambassador.

I'm still Plat. Some years, I "earn" Plat. Some years I don't. It seems you remain at level at enrolment!

• Informative Informative x 2

6. eric2011

eric2011 Established Member

Feb 5, 2011
    Brisbane - Northside
    Flight Map:
    View my flight map
    I was Plat when I joined Ambassador and then earned my way to Spire. Are you suggesting that I will always remain Spire as long as I remain enrolled in Ambassador

7. Mick1969

Mick1969 Junior Member

Jul 18, 2013
    My wife renewed Ambassador last year and got an additional year of Spire, still a few months away from renewal but I would be surprised if it happens again.

8. docjames

docjames Senior Member

Jul 10, 2007
    Melbourne
    Flight Map:
    View my flight map
    No idea, I haven't budged from Plat despite not qualifying some years of Amb membership.

9. samh004

Apr 1, 2009
    Gold Coast
    Flight Map:
    View my flight map
    Twitter:
    Facebook:
    Google+:
    Linkedin:
    Instagram:
    The 50% extra points for stays, and the increased chance of upgrades when in a non-InterContinental would be nice, but I can understand why it's not actually a big difference.

You would or wouldn't be surprised?

It certainly seems like Ambassador is the ticket to everlasting top-tier membership, however as I am 50 nights or the equivalent of USD$4670 worth of spend (46,700 points short) away from the level, I don't think I'll be pushing myself towards it this year, or future years for that matter!

10. Steady

Steady Senior Member

Feb 3, 2013
    NW Tasmania
    Flight Map:
    View my flight map
    I am Spire Elite and aside from the 50% and initial welcome bonus points I don't think it has been much of anything - I am going to drop back at the end of this year, and I am considering joining ambassador to keep it - even though I cannot believe I am :confused:
    The illogical lure of status :rolleyes:

If the spire elite 'Exclusive Choice Benefit upon receiving status' is annual, and ambassador keeps me at the same level indefinitely, the bonus points will keep it all going until the rules change

11. Mick1969

Mick1969 Junior Member

Jul 18, 2013
    I would be pleasantly surprised although as others have stated, there are no real benefits to Spire as an Ambassador member. I find the Ambassador value to be quite good and both my wife and I have purchased this as we have not always travelled at the same time. So far we have received excellent value on the Weekend Night certificate.