Airlines make upgrades a bidding game online

Discussion in 'Travel News' started by markis10, Apr 8, 2012.

1. markis10

markis10 Veteran Member

Nov 25, 2004
    BNE & SYD
    It was rather weird to read this as I sat in my J seat having been upgraded yesterday, no doubt it's a trend that to a certain extent is not one many frequent fliers with status will like:

http://www.afr.com/p/national/airlines_make_upgrades_an_online_uvZiOPcgqYJ5GVlvcXHA2J

Registered Users have the option of removing this and all other advertisementsMore…

2. harvyk

harvyk Senior Member

Apr 15, 2009
    CBR
    Flight Map:
    View my flight map
    Yeah, this can only end badly...
    They will either stop being able to sell J seats using anything other than the bidding method, and \ or they will lose their collection of frequent flyers who will see themselves being out bided for the seats by non-status pax.

A far better approach would be to offer a set number of seats for upgrades in the months and weeks before, and then go onto a standby system, where you can put in points to be upgraded at the gate, thus any unsold Y+ \ J seats will have the maximum amount of time available for sale, and will not go empty if there is a status pax with points who would like to use those points to nab a better seat.

3. cove

cove Senior Member

Apr 15, 2010
    Perth
    We have just signed up for a pair of new credit cards that could earn points with Air New Zealand.
    I think I will warehouse the points and watch the developments on who joins this new system before picking the ultimate carrier.
    Currently I am warehousing a chunk of points with a Visa card so I will do the same with this new Platinum set of cards.
    Thank you Markis10 for posting this as I missed this article in AFR on 4th April.
    It is a game that we need to play well as the rules can change!!

4. oz_mark

oz_mark Enthusiast

Jun 30, 2002
    Melbourne
    Flight Map:
    View my flight map
  5. markis10

markis10 Veteran Member

Nov 25, 2004
    BNE & SYD
  6. cove

cove Senior Member

Apr 15, 2010
    Perth
    Pretty underwhelming stuff if you have been running up points for a "rainy day" with these 3 airlines.

7. oz_mark

oz_mark Enthusiast

Jun 30, 2002
    Melbourne
    Flight Map:
    View my flight map
    I didn't say they weren't affected. I was addressing the fact that FF'ers did in fact perceive it negatively.

8. samh004

Apr 1, 2009
    Gold Coast
    Flight Map:
    View my flight map
    Twitter:
    Facebook:
    Google+:
    Linkedin:
    Instagram:
    I’m getting deja vu, and assume this must have been posted here a while back, but can’t say where I read about this before. It sounds like a good way to bring newer members into the business of using their points, at the expense of their very frequent flyers who rely on the current system working as it always has.

9. serfty

Nov 16, 2004
    MEL
    Flight Map:
    View my flight map
    If you look at the FT thread on the NZ forum, you can see is has disgruntled many, including me.

Airpoints Upgrades Gone! - FlyerTalk Forums

I no longer have the cost/benefit in chasing Gold Elite with them. I did pursue GE for the confirmed upgrades from any booking class.

As I posted there on March the 3rd:
    also:

10. Passport Premiere

Passport Premiere Junior Member

Feb 22, 2012
    In this example, the seat is only worth 11K if there is an established market for a specific flight with buyer wiling to pay the premium. Not just NZ, but carriers the world over are finding that the biz class premiums have run up too far to fast. On some flights there is sufficient demand, on other there is not. The more relevant trend that all premium class travelers need to be aware of is that the market does not close when you finalize your purchase. The market closes when the plane takes off. A common mistake is that once a traveler completes their research and finalizes their purchase, they don't think about it again. Like the U.S. housing market, pricing can just keep climbing and climbing right? Not really. What is the 11K seat worth without a buyer? Its worth nothing and is unrecoverable spoiled inventory. The other trend is for shotgun fare sales to be launched for two days where pricing drops by 70% or more for a short window of time....

Airline seats are commodities and whether we like it or not, entering into a contract for air travel is more of a trade than a straight purchase. The smart buyers keep tabs on the market BOTH pre and post purchase

11. lovestotravel

lovestotravel Senior Member

Sep 18, 2008
    It's a step towards the removal of their fantastic J product and an "enhancement" towards PE only..................

Instead of bidding, how about more FF seats being available!