Wiki AFF Gathering #12 in ADL on 19 - 21 October 2018

Discussion in 'Meetings and Social Events' started by support, Oct 26, 2017.

AFF Gathering #12

This community-maintained AFF Wiki Page contains the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki Page once you have been an AFF member for 30 days and have made at least 10 posts. For more information on how to edit the Wiki, please see this thread.

The 12th AFF Annual Gathering was decided to be held in Adelaide, over the weekend of the 19th to 21st October. The average temperature range for October is 11.5ºC to 22.1ºC, with a relative humidity of 45%. The average rainfall is 42mm with 10 rainy days. It is Australia's fifth largest city (as of 2015). Activities for the weekend will include social drinks, dinners and social activities to local sights.

For statistics on previous Annual Gatherings, please see here.

Schedule

Please reserve your attendance at the event by registering HERE.

Pre-Do

Friday night

The plan for Friday is to meet for drinks at Lady Burra Brewhouse, exact timing to be confirmed. Lady Burra Brewhouse is the only operational microbrewery in the Adelaide CBD.

Following drinks members are free to get food together at this venue or move to another location.

Saturday

The group activity on Saturday is an Adelaide City Highlights Tour. Starting at 0900 (pickup location(s) to be advised). This private tour will make stops at Haigh's, for a chocolate factory tour, and St Peter's Cathedral. A third stop is yet to be decided on but will not affect the price of the ticket, which is $40. On the booking form, this is referred to as "City Highlights".

Finishing at lunchtime, members are free to end the tour here to do their own thing, or have the option of continuing the guided sightseeing in one of two ways, for an additional cost.

The next option is to include an Adelaide Oval Tour, costing an additional $30. This tour will start following the conclusion of the Adelaide City Highlights Tour and will include a behind the scenes tour of the Adelaide Oval and visit to the Bradman Collection. Additionally, you get to go inside the famous scoreboard at the 'Cathedral End'. This will bring the total price to $70. On the booking form, this is referred to as "City Highlights & Adelaide Oval".

The other option is to include a Popeye Cruise on the River Torrens, culminating in an Adelaide Zoo Tour, costing an additional $55. This tour will start following the conclusion of the Adelaide City Highlights Tour and will include a return 40-minute cruise between Elder Park and Adelaide Zoo with entry to Adelaide Zoo included where you can see Australia's only Giant Pandas, Wang Wang and Fu Ni. You will also learn about Zoos SA Conservation Program. This will bring the total price to $95. On the booking form, this is referred to as "City Highlights, River Torrens & Adelaide Zoo".

To do either of the afternoon tours, you will also need to do the morning tour.

Saturday night

Dinner is at Jasmin Indian Restaurant in their private dining room. Described by Marco Pierre White as “...without question most probably the best Indian meal in my life”. You will be served from their banquet menu consisting of 2 entrees and 2 mains but should bring cash along for drinks on the night.

The cost of this dinner is $50.

Special guest speaker to be announced.

Sunday

Departing at 8:30am from outside the Adelaide Convention Centre, we head to Chateau Yaldara for a tour and premium tasting at 10:00am. At 11:30am we head to Saltram for another premium tasting and sit down lunch. This should take us to around 2:00pm. Assuming that all goes to schedule, we will take a trip up to Menglers Hill for a spectacular view over the valley. As long as we depart by 3:30pm, we will get to the airport by 5:30pm, then the usual drop-offs at the Hilton and starting point.

This wine tour has been curated by AFF member Buzzard, who will be joining the tour.

The cost of this activity is $125.

Table Summarising total amounts Payable per Person depending on Planned activities ...

[​IMG]

Post-Do

Attendees + Events

FridaySaturdaySunday
UsernameDrinksCityOvalZooDinnerWine Tour
JessicaTamYesYesYesNoYesYes 1-40
samh004YesYesNoNoYesYes 2-40
Doug_WestcottYesYesNoYesYesYes 3-40
RooFlyerYesYesYesNoYesYes 4-40
HvrYesYesYesNoYesNo
Jacques VertYesYesNoYesYesYes 5-40
Gem56YesYesNoYesYesYes 6-40
serftyYesYesYesNoYesNo
coveYesYesNoNoYesYes 7-40
drronYesNoNoNoYesYes 8-40
mrs.dr.ronYesNoNoNoYesYes 9-40
love_the_lifeYesNoNoNoYesYes 10-40
RomneyNoNoNoNoYesYes 11-40
Romney +1NoNoNoNoYesYes 12-40
PushkaNoNoNoNoYesNo
Pushka +1NoNoNoNoYesNo
Blackcat20YesYesNoYesYesYes 13-40
TomVexilleYesYesYesNoYesYes 14-40
Bundy BearNoYesYesNoYesYes 15-40
VPSYesNoNoNoYesNo
adminNoYesNoYesYesNo
admin +1NoYesNoYesYesNo
BindibuysYesYesYesNoYesNo
Bindibuys +1YesYesYesNoYesNo
gwilli1YesNoNoNoYesYes 16-40
CryptarcadianYesNoNoNoYesYes 17-40
BuzzardYesNoNoNoYesYes 18-40
Buzzard +1YesNoNoNoNoYes 19-40
AnnaYesNoNoNoYesNo
Matt_01YesNoNoNoYesNo
CaptJCoolYesNoNoNoNoNo

Flights + Accommodation

ArrivalDeparture
UsernameDayTimeFlightAccommodationDayTimeFlight
Platinum – 31
samh004Friday 19th1550QF1593InterContinentalSunday 21st1910QF656
blackcat20Friday 19th6.30pmVAHiltonSunday 21st8pmQF
TomVexilleFriday 19th6.30pmVAHiltonSunday 21st8pmQF
HvrHilton
CaptJCoolLocal
AnnaLocal
JessicaTamFriday 19thHiltonSunday 21st2000QF696
romneylocal
Jacques VertTuesday 16th1640QF663HiltonSunday 21st1910QF656
Gem56Tuesday 16th1640QF663HiltonSunday 21st1910QF
BindibuysFriday 19th1415QF751HiltonSunday 21st1605QF764
Bindibuys +1Friday 19th1415QF751HiltonSunday 21st1605QF764
serftyFri 19th5:30pmVAHiltonSun 21st7:05pmVA
AdminHilton
Admin +1Hilton
BuzzardLocal
Buzzard +1Local
gwilli1Fri 19th1750VA428InterContinentalSun 21st1825VA437
Bundy BearFriday 19thQFSunday 21stQF
LowjhgNovotel Barossa Valley
RooFlyerFriday 19th1.30pmVA 1321/223HiltonSunday 21st7pmVA 242/1336
PushkaLocal
Pushka +1Local
love_the_lifeFriday 19th2.35pmQF685InterContinentalMonday 22th1pmQF686/818
coveVAInterContinentalVA
Doug_WestcottFriday 19th2:35pmQF685InterContinentalSunday 21st8:00pmQF696
mrs.dr.ronFriday 19th1550QF 1593InterContinental
drronFriday 19th1550QF 1593InterContinental
VPSHilton
Matt_01Thursday 18th18:35pmQF697LocalSunday 21st18:05QF694
CryptarcadianFriday 19th1750VA428Sunday 21st1825VA437
Gold – 10
I love to travelLocal
oz_mark
oz_mark +1
boomy
TheBOSman
QF WP
tuapekastar
Aeolus
Bazzi
Silver – 12 (+1 infant)
Awesom Andy
Awesom Andy +2
Jeffrey O'Neill
kpc
kpc +1
Skyhawk
ALH
GPH
carambola
carambola +1
Mickeyc747
Mickeyc747 +1

Suggested Accommodation

While not an exhaustive list, here are some of the chain properties available in Adelaide. The list does of course go on, and doesn't include many popular choices such as Rydges, Stamfords or Art Series Hotels. Unfortunately, the two new Marriott (née Starwood) properties will not be open until 2019.

AccorHotels
– The Playford Adelaide MGallery
– Pullman Adelaide
– Mercure Adelaide Grosvenor
– Ibis Styles Adelaide Grosvenor

Hilton
– Hilton Adelaide

InterContinental Hotels Group
– InterContinental Adelaide
– Holiday Inn Express​

References

Welcome to Australia's leading independent Frequent Flyer and Travel Resource!
(Click HERE for a welcome message from our founder.)

Our site contains tons of information that is guaranteed to improve your travel experience. Be it tips on how to fly in First/Business at a reduced cost, smart ways to earn more points, the best way to use your points, cheap deals, hand-picked hotel recommendations, detailed trip reports.

We hope you find the information useful and decide to join our online community.

Joining AFF is fast, simple and ABSOLUTELY FREE - so why not join now by clicking on the JOIN NOW button, and take immediate advantage of these great BENEFITS.

Once registered, this box will disappear freeing up more space on your screen!
And you will see fewer advertisements :)

1. support

Administrator Moderator Authenticated Company Representative

May 29, 2011
    Australia
    Twitter:
    Facebook:
    Google+:
    Adelaide has been chosen as the AFF Annual Gathering destination for 2018, occurring over the weekend of the 19th to 21st October. The average temperature range for October is 11.5ºC to 22.1ºC, with a relative humidity of 45%. The average rainfall is 42mm with 10 rainy days. It is Australia's fifth largest city (as of 2015).

Adelaide has previously played host to an Annual Gathering, as the second city chosen in the first year. As it had only been 3 months since the first gathering, numbers were lower than expected, so this is Adelaide's second chance – a decade later. Adelaide is not the first city to play host twice, with Melbourne previously taking that honour in the first (2008) and eighth (2014) year.

It is expected Adelaide could include a vineyard tour, as well as the usual activities such as a dinner with a guest speaker on the Saturday night. We are of course interested to hear your suggestions and ideas for the event, so together we can make it enjoyable for all.

Your organisers are:
    • support (PM)
    • JessicaTam (PM)

• Like Like x 8

2. samh004

samh004 Enthusiast

Apr 1, 2009
    Gold Coast
    Flight Map:
    View my flight map
    Twitter:
    Facebook:
    Google+:
    Linkedin:
    Instagram:
    Myself and possibly +1 are interested.

Certainly do enjoy Adelaide.

3. blackcat20

blackcat20 Senior Member

Jan 7, 2011
    Melbourne
    Flight Map:
    View my flight map
    Interested.

4. Doug_Westcott

Doug_Westcott Member

Aug 25, 2011
    Melbourne
    Flight Map:
    View my flight map
    Definitely interested. This far out probably Gold, but expect to move to Platinum nearer the date.

5. I love to travel

Jun 4, 2016
    Brisbane
    Never been to any AFF events before but interested.

6. Steady

Steady Senior Member

Feb 3, 2013
    NW Tasmania
    Flight Map:
    View my flight map
    Sounds good but I will be away

7. kpc

kpc Senior Member

Mar 11, 2003
    Sydney
    Maybe at this stage

8. cove

cove Enthusiast

Apr 15, 2010
    Perth
    Adelaide is always good fun so I think it is a good pick and yes I am interested.

9. Pushka

Pushka Enthusiast

Jan 26, 2011
    ADL MEL
    Flight Map:
    View my flight map
    We are a maybe too. Might be knee deep in weddings, house sales and travel so it will be an interesting thing to zoom forward (or back) and see what has panned out!

10. oz_mark

oz_mark Enthusiast

Jun 30, 2002
    Melbourne
    Flight Map:
    View my flight map
    Maybe (It's like a year away!)

I've studied the Qantas route map. Not sure if they still fly to Adelaide...
    :cool::cool::cool:

• Like Like x 2
  11. Hvr

Hvr Senior Member

Jun 27, 2007
    MEL
    Am definitely interested and will start cogitating about how to make it happen.

12. Pushka

Pushka Enthusiast

Jan 26, 2011
    ADL MEL
    Flight Map:
    View my flight map
    Well yes. Good point. It’s a year away and who knows what might happen. They’ve already stopped flights to Mel after 7pm weekdays.

13. TomVexille

TomVexille Enthusiast

Nov 12, 2013
    Melbourne
    Definitely interested.

Dooo iiiit. It's great fun

14. JohnK

JohnK Veteran Member

Mar 22, 2005
    BNE, SYD and CNX
    Unfortunately October is Club championship month and that weekend is full already.

Hoping the event is a success.

15. ALH

ALH Active Member

Apr 22, 2012
    Brisbane
    Colour us very interested. Always love Adelaide.

16. CaptJCool

CaptJCool Active Member

May 31, 2012
    RAdelaide
    I think I'm in cause I'd be walkin' in (or perhaps trammin' on the by then new tramway on North Terrace.

By then my work commitments will have diminished and flying in isn't necessary seein the distance is shorter than the main runway at ADL! (well perhaps I ought arrange a helicopter haha)

For those who don't know The South Australian Aviation Museum displays aircraft and aircraft engines of relevance to South Australia and aviation in Australia. It is also the home of the Defence Science and Technology Organisation's heritage rocket collection. Wikipedia. The Maritime museum and national rail museum are down there. Plus river dolphin cruise within the very historical quarter of Port Adelaide.

i popped together a list just now, but didn't know if it was worth sharing this early?

17. carambola

carambola Junior Member

Sep 2, 2017
    BNE
    As a newbie here, is it likely that the event date / location will change? Or can we pretty much treat it as confirmed unless some major unexpected issue occurs?

Mr Carambola and I both need to book a QF flight to get the travel credit from our AMEX Ultimates, so this is a good excuse. (Not that Adelaide normally needs an excuse!) We haven't been to any AFF events but would love to come along if that's okay.

• Like Like x 1
  18. Bundy Bear

Bundy Bear Established Member

Jul 17, 2004
    Brisbane
    Flight Map:
    View my flight map
    I won't know if I can attend until after 10 April 2018, so interested at the moment but if I have a clash of events then this will get the chop.

19. support

Administrator Moderator Authenticated Company Representative

May 29, 2011
    Australia
    Twitter:
    Facebook:
    Google+:
    Excellent, thank you for that, you are welcome to PM myself or other organisers if you'd like to suggest more/play a bigger part.

No changes, it's set in stone. If there is demand, there could be scope for events before most arrive on Thursday/Friday and after most leave on Sunday/Monday. It's up to you if you want to make it more than a weekend and take the gamble on doing more.

AFF Gatherings are open to all, so you needn't ask! :p

• Like Like x 1
  20. boomy

boomy Senior Member

May 10, 2013
    MEL and BNE
    No flights book for October yet so I'm Gold at this stage. Adelaide is an easy gateway so will probably join if I'm in Australia on those dates.