Advice required [Best Card for Velocity Earn + Insurance?]

Status
Not open for further replies.

sepulchres

Hello there.

Long time lurker, first post.

I have been researching FF points for a while now and I thought I had the perfect combination for myself until recently read a few posts on these forums.

My situation: Mostly recreational travel, 1-2 domestic return flights and 1 international return flight at least per year. I use CC for just about everywhere possible. I have only been collecting velocity points until now and only have about 40-50k.

My plan was to get the Amex platinum edge for the domestic flight, travel insurance and also MR points which can be transferred to any airline, including velocity and have a low fee CBA mastercard ($0 annual fee for >1000 spend) for places that don't accept Amex. However given recent changes to the travel insurance on Amex, I am wondering whether this is worth it.

I previously had the CBA gold card with no awards, however it had good travel insurance and no fee if spending >10,000 per year.

So my question is, which the best CC to get at the moment that will still get my MR with added benefits on the card. Only reason I am keen on MR is because I would like the flexibility to transfer points to a range of airlines rather than to stick to one. Thanks in advance for your help!

It’s hard to go past the Plat Edge. Thanks to it I now earn 3 points per dollar spent on food, petrol, phone recharges, car servicing, hardware, movie tickets and general merchandise from Kmart, Big W, and Myer.

Maybe just get a second card for the insurance that suits your needs.

Thanks for your reply. Annual CC spend is 20-30k - not massive but this will gradually increase per year. I am considering having another card for insurance but which card is best value for insurance that offers substantially more cover than Plat Edge? Because the whole point of getting Plat edge is to spend on flights for rewards, if I cant do that, doesn't it sort of defeat the purpose?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Enhance your AFF viewing experience!!

From just $6 we'll remove all advertisements so that you can enjoy a cleaner and uninterupted viewing experience.

And you'll be supporting us so that we can continue to provide this valuable resource :)

Sample AFF with no advertisements? More..
Back