Advice re applying for an extra AMEX card...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bell21

I've currently got an AMEX Platinum (with Platinum Reserve), as well as an AMEX Business Explorer and Business Accelerator. I'd like to swap out the Business Accelerator and replace it with a Platinum Edge card, to maximise points (+ the additional travel credit). Given I read somewhere that 4 AMEX cards is maximum, should I:

a) Cancel the Accelerator first before applying for the Platinum Edge

OR

b) Apply for the Platinum Edge and then see what happens (eg, AMEX might call me and let me know I need to cancel 1 card before approving the PE), although I'd prefer to avoid getting rejected for a card re my credit score.

Whenever I've spoken to AMEX about this situation in the past, they've usually said it's better not to cancel existing AMEX cards when applying for new ones.

I'm also unsure whether the combination of 2 personal and 2 business cards has any impact re above.

Thanks for any input!

I've currently got an AMEX Platinum (with Platinum Reserve), as well as an AMEX Business Explorer and Business Accelerator. I'd like to swap out the Business Accelerator and replace it with a Platinum Edge card, to maximise points (+ the additional travel credit). Given I read somewhere that 4 AMEX cards is maximum, should I:

a) Cancel the Accelerator first before applying for the Platinum Edge

OR

b) Apply for the Platinum Edge and then see what happens (eg, AMEX might call me and let me know I need to cancel 1 card before approving the PE), although I'd prefer to avoid getting rejected for a card re my credit score.

Whenever I've spoken to AMEX about this situation in the past, they've usually said it's better not to cancel existing AMEX cards when applying for new ones.

I'm also unsure whether the combination of 2 personal and 2 business cards has any impact re above.

Thanks for any input!
Best to try option b .
If you do have to cancel you can reinstate card within 30 days .

Indeed 4 cards is the maximum (I've been told directly by AmEx). I recently applied for a 5th card as I was not aware of the limit. I received a call from AmEx advising me of the limit and provided me with the option of either cancelling one of the existing cards or withdrawing the application.

You can have 5 amex card if one of them is westpac. I current hold charge, reserve, explorer and edge as well. Don't have any business cards.

There is a chance you will lose the ability to credit your Business Explorer to Ascent if you cancel the Accelerator.
My Accelerator Ascent is a different award account to Personal Edge/Charge/Reserve Ascent

You can have 5 amex card if one of them is westpac. I current hold charge, reserve, explorer and edge as well. Don't have any business cards.

Yep, I have the exact same set of 4. I applied for the Westpac one and had a call from AmEx that I had to cancel one before they approve the Westpac's. I told them I did not want to cancel any of the 4. A few days later, out of the blue, I had an email and SMS that the Westpac card was approved and the new card was on its way! :)

There is a chance you will lose the ability to credit your Business Explorer to Ascent if you cancel the Accelerator.
My Accelerator Ascent is a different award account to Personal Edge/Charge/Reserve Ascent

I assumed that the Ascent's would be the same, BUT it also makes sense that they're different --- I'm not sure though why you believe I'll lose the ability to transfer from Bus Explorer to Ascent, as I've already transferred from BE to non-business platinum?

Thanks to everyone for all your replies - very helpful. My thoughts are to do the following:

a) Check andye's comment with the business call centre
b) Reduce the credit limit on my Reserve - it was much bigger than I requested / needed (I know there's a few different schools of thought on this)
c) Apply for the Platinum Edge card and see what happens --- I'm just not sure that AMEX views business and personal cards as 'the same' from a maximum of 4 cards perspective, and their call centres have indicated a few times not to 'cancel existing cards' when applying for new ones (although I clearly wasn't convinced!) --- as long as they call me if they do count the new application as '5 cards' and give me the option, at that stage, I'll cancel one of the other cards if necessary.

Will let you all know how I get on.

Thanks to everyone for their advice. The Platinum Edge got approved today - the AMEX rep said that she needed to check if we have too many cards, and after looking into it, said that the Platinum charge card is 'different' to the other credit cards I hold (BA, BE, Plat Reserve), and therefore we can have a 4th credit card, so a good outcome.

What are the perks of having so many different cards? We have an explorer and platinum edge.

What are the perks of having so many different cards? We have an explorer and platinum edge.
The Charge has a number of benefits including: Travel credit, Amex/VA/Plaza Premium lounges, Priority Pass, hotel statuses, free Accor night, travel and other insurances, usually high limits, 3 points/$ at restaurants.
The Reserve is available at no extra cost and as it has its own travel credit offsets the Charge's annual fee

Does the Supplemantary holder receive the same benefits?
Supplementary Charge holders get the above except Travel Credit and Accor night. Only 1 supplementary gets Priority Pass. The VA lounge is only supposed to be for primary but in practice is to all.

Good question Vik Park. There a few benefits of multiple cards, although my collection has kind of evolved over time. I originally just wanted 2 business cards - the Business Explorer b/c it's 2 points / $ (same as your Personal Explorer) and provides 50,000 bonus points per year when you spend $100,000, which offsets the $400 annual fee. I also wanted a Business Accelerator card to separate certain expenses and it also provides 2 points / $ for the first $50,000 spend per annum and allows me to transfer points between Gateway and Ascent reward programs ($160 fee). I then ran the numbers on the Platinum card, and found that in my circumstance, it absolutely paid for its high annual fee ($1450) with its perks, so I was pleased to have an argument to get that! (since it also gave me access to Ascent Premium). As Andye indicates, you then apply for the Platinum Reserve card which is free and gives you an extra $400 travel credit. Getting the Platinum Edge was a bit of a 'nice to have', but I figured that the $200 travel credit pays for the $195 annual fee, and I felt like I was missing out not getting 3 points / $ at supermarkets! So as you can see, it just evolved over time. Your Explorer and Plat Edge is a great combination - the Platinum Charge and Reserve cards are great additions, if you can justify the $1450 card fee per annum,

Hopefully, I'm not oversharing here - I'm still relatively new to the AFF community, and sometimes wonder how much detail to share, although I thought some might find the evolution interesting (12 months ago, I only had one of the AMEX QANTAS cards and that's it, so AFF and Points Hacks have completely changed my mindset to points collecting and cards)

Hey Bell21,

Just wondering when you applied for the Platinum Edge (after you had the Charge + Reserve), were you able to get the sign up bonus?
I had a similar portfolio of cards as you did, but cancelled the Edge when I was applying for a new home loan. But probably want it back in my coughnal of cards.

The Edge was the last card in my line-up - I've only had it circa 2 weeks, but I didn't think there was any sign-up bonus available when I applied for the card - I hope I didn't miss something! (I recall there was sign-up bonuses earlier in the year though).

There would have been at least a referral signup bonus for the card, but given you were already an existing Amex cardholder it extremely unlikely you would have received the bonus points. Having said that, there must be system errors very occasionally as there are a few mentions from people on here that they got them. Very rare though

thanks blueythecat - I'm aware of the systems errors you're referring to, which is why I would like to make sure I meet spending requirements for any sign-up bonuses 'just in case' --- thanks for the link to your previous post above - I can't find any current reference to the 10,000 bonus points for $750 spend in the first 3 months, but in any case, Mrs Bell21 has already spent that in the first week of having the card..., so I guess, if get some bonus points, great, but happy to have added this card in any case

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back