Additional Citibank Rewards points on supermarket spend

Status
Not open for further replies.

kyle

Established Member
Just received this offer. I wonder if it's targetted. The problem is that I won't be able to easily check if the bonus points have been credited as Citibank doesn't provide a points transaction history.

Use your Citibank Rewards Credit Card to pay for all your supermarket purchases and earn an additional 7 points for every dollar spent. You can earn up to a total of 20,000 points on supermarket purchases made between 15 July and 14 August 2013.

*Promotion excludes cash advance, refunds, Balance Transfers and special promotions. Bonus points will be added to account up to 10 weeks after the end of the promotion period. Citibank reward points are earned, allocated, redeemed, forfeited or cancelled by eligible cardholders in accordance with the Citibank Rewards Terms and Conditions.

Mine arrived in the post, but 3 additional points, not 7. :(
Signature.
Kyle, which card do you have ?

What a great offer, I wish I would received it for one of my cards.

Newk I think we need to ring Citibank to ask how come the offer hasn't been emailed to us :)

Newk I think we need to ring Citibank to ask how come the offer hasn't been emailed to us :)

zakerly!

although I got a very excited Citi rep on the phone yesterday. I usually give them short shrift but he held my attention. Free for life Visa debit card and free for life transaction account. Slightly OT, sorry OP, but what's the catch?

Now back on topic: Kyle, make sure you get every one of those 20,000 points

zakerly!

although I got a very excited Citi rep on the phone yesterday. I usually give them short shrift but he held my attention. Free for life Visa debit card and free for life transaction account. Slightly OT, sorry OP, but what's the catch?

I'm just hoping I don't have to chase up my points.

zakerly!

None. This is their Citbank Plus account which doesn't have any fees

The most attractive feature that members of this forum love is that you can withdraw money from an overseas ATM and not be charged a forex % or flat fee. You only pay what the foreign ATM charges.

None. This is their Citbank Plus account which doesn't have any fees

The most attractive feature that members of this forum love is that you can withdraw money from an overseas ATM and not be charged a forex % or flat fee. You only pay what the foreign ATM charges.

Or if you use a Citibank ATM you pay no fee at all. This is a great product and I was surprised at how good the conversion rate is when I used it for the first time overseas.

Another benefit is to use it to transfer money to an international bank account but it does take a week or so.

Free for life Visa debit card and free for life transaction account. Slightly OT, sorry OP, but what's the catch?

There isnt one*!

It is just a regular bank account with no fees.
Details are here https://www.citibank.com.au/aus/banking/everyday_banking/citibank_plus.htm
The fees and charges are here (Note the headings which say "Excludes Citibank Plus Transaction Accounts" https://www.citibank.com.au/global_docs/pdf/Feesandcharges.pdf
The only fee is the interest rate when you overdraw your account. If this occurs regularly then I would look at ING as they give you 3 days to put the money back before charging you interest (However the account is not fee free)

*Unless you consider having to use the citibank online banking website, the backwards way of sending money, being required to add a payee before paying them or that electronic money transfers are not processed until the next business day if made after 4PM AEST

Last edited:
There isnt one*!

It is just a regular bank account with no fees.
Details are here https://www.citibank.com.au/aus/banking/everyday_banking/citibank_plus.htm
The fees and charges are here (Note the headings which say "Excludes Citibank Plus Transaction Accounts" https://www.citibank.com.au/global_docs/pdf/Feesandcharges.pdf
The only fee is the interest rate when you overdraw your account. If this occurs regularly then I would look at ING as they give you 3 days to put the money back before charging you interest (However the account is not fee free)

*Unless you consider having to use the citibank online banking website, the backwards way of sending money, being required to add a payee before paying them or that electronic money transfers are not processed until the next business day if made after 4PM AEST

Thank you to all those who confirmed that are no catches with this account. I look forward to using it. Good ol' Citibank hey? :) I'm glad I didn't just say thanks, but no thanks and then hang up as I am inclined to do with these calls

A different promo for August

Three days ago I received a postcard for my citi Gold Visa (one of the ancient ones without annual fee) which offers double points up to a total of 20000 for all August purchases (only double for regular points, not for special promotion partners like IHG hotels etc.). Not sure if I care or not, as I won't be able to redeem for airline points after 1/9. Not sure if this is targeted.

Re: A different promo for August

Three days ago I received a postcard for my citi Gold Visa (one of the ancient ones without annual fee)

You have never received offers to upgrade to Platinum or Signature? It seems most of us here have had an upgrade, and some people have had a double or even triple upgrade.

You have never received offers to upgrade to Platinum or Signature? It seems most of us here have had an upgrade, and some people have had a double or even triple upgrade.

The general assumption i have been aware of is that people were only given an upgrade if their credit limit met the minimum credit limit for the upgraded card.

So a person with a gold card and $2000 limit was not upgraded to platinum which (i think) has a $6000 minimum limit.

No, I'm sure we got several invites for upgrades, but we're just not interested in paying a large annual fee to accrue points. We have a somewhat unusual situation, in that we have almost more AA miles than we can currently use as well as OW Sapphire with AA as long as the AAdvantage program is around in this current incarnation (so that takes care of most domestic travel we might have, plus QF lounges), access to American credit cards with no forex fee through work - which we often use here for business, and lots of QF points mostly from shopping (the AF on the Woollies card has been rebated for the past two years), so it's hard to find a credit card with a large AF with benefits that would justify the cost, for the time being. Oh, and our travel has overall decreased in the last 3-4 years. That's why I'm chiefly interested in the Escape VA Amex that has no AF. Not the best earning option, but good enough for our current needs. Now I'm trying to decide if it's worth topping up the citi rewards account with this double points offer, then cash out for a GC and finally forget about it.

No, I'm sure we got several invites for upgrades, but we're just not interested in paying a large annual fee to accrue points. We have a somewhat unusual situation, in that we have almost more AA miles than we can currently use as well as OW Sapphire with AA as long as the AAdvantage program is around in this current incarnation (so that takes care of most domestic travel we might have, plus QF lounges), access to American credit cards with no forex fee through work - which we often use here for business, and lots of QF points mostly from shopping (the AF on the Woollies card has been rebated for the past two years), so it's hard to find a credit card with a large AF with benefits that would justify the cost, for the time being. Oh, and our travel has overall decreased in the last 3-4 years. That's why I'm chiefly interested in the Escape VA Amex that has no AF. Not the best earning option, but good enough for our current needs. Now I'm trying to decide if it's worth topping up the citi rewards account with this double points offer, then cash out for a GC and finally forget about it.

The upgrades were 'same fee' so if you were fee free gold, upgrades to Platinum and later Signature were also at $0 annual fee.

As has been said though, it seems to have depended on credit limit.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back