$838 to LAX/SFO return was to end last night but still available | Australian Frequent Flyer
Australian Frequent Flyer

Welcome to Australia's leading independent Frequent Flyer and Travel Resource since 1998!
Our site contains tons of information that will improve your travel experience.

Joining AFF is fast, simple & absolutely free - register now and take immediate advantage of these great BENEFITS.

Once registered, this box will disappear. And you will see fewer advertisements :)

$838 to LAX/SFO return was to end last night but still available

ozfflyer

the $899 fare BNE, SYD or MEL to LAX or SFO return, on Fiji Airways website(discounted down to $838 elsewhere), was meant to finish yesterday, but still showing & plenty of availability especially in Feb 2020.

Maybe they'll simply extend it forever as regardless of who wins election today, we're heading into one massive recession?

Guess the A350s flying from 1 January are meant to be much more fuel efficient. Do they have the same carbon fibre hulls as B787s ?

from fiji air website

>>>

Combining the latest aerodynamics, new Rolls-Royce Trent XWB generation engines and use of lightweight materials, the A350 XWB brings a 25% advantage in fuel burn, operating costs and carbon dioxide emissions compared to previous generation similar-sized aircraft, meaning a significant reduction to the airline’s carbon footprint and fuel cost.

>>>

With Virgin major profit downgrade warning in todays papers(am sure all airlines will downgrade profits) when will flight cutbacks begin ?

Assume, the shortage of pilots will disappear fast. Guess it might depend on election result.

Last edited:

MEL_Traveller

AFF Supporter
I don't consider that a bargain fare

China Southern was offering $299 return to CAN last week. Air France was offering Europe (from Australia) for around $1000.

$838 might be cheap to the USA (but not the cheapest I've seen) - but compared to those other fares there seems to be a healthy margin built in.

Airline might be good at flying us from A to B. But they've never been model financial guides. They van't get fuel hedging right. The collude on pricing and get massive fines. They get their commercial models wrong. They ignore local laws and get massive fines.

I wouldn't be hanging the prediction of a recession on anything an airline does :)

ozfflyer

I don't consider that a bargain fare

China Southern was offering $299 return to CAN last week. Air France was offering Europe (from Australia) for around $1000.

$838 might be cheap to the USA (but not the cheapest I've seen) - but compared to those other fares there seems to be a healthy margin built in.

Airline might be good at flying us from A to B. But they've never been model financial guides. They van't get fuel hedging right. The collude on pricing and get massive fines. They get their commercial models wrong. They ignore local laws and get massive fines.

I wouldn't be hanging the prediction of a recession on anything an airline does :)
all fares mentioned are loss leaders. Govt taxes alone to USA return are around $230. Fuel price is relatively high.

Travel is one of the 1st things to go in a recession & we are well into the recession, we had to have.

Last edited:

DC3

AFF Supporter
Flights
My Map
the $899 fare BNE, SYD or MEL to LAX or SFO return, on Fiji Airways website(discounted down to $838 elsewhere), was meant to finish yesterday, but still showing & plenty of availability especially in Feb 2020.

Maybe they'll simply extend it forever as regardless of who wins election today, we're heading into one massive recession? ...
...Travel is one of the 1st things to go in a recession & we are well into the recession, we had to have.
In that case, maybe the good news is that these fares will drop even further. :)

cjd600

AFF Supporter
Do you work for FJ? Every thread seems to be the 'bargain' FJ fares to USA.

ozfflyer

In that case, maybe the good news is that these fares will drop even further. :)
there comes a point when airlines start to cut flights. eg. if an airline flies more than once a day on a route, then they could cut to 1/day without losing business types who pay big, so the airlines can sell these loss leader fares. Confidence has resumed today, which has probably saved some airlines who rely on lots of business out of Australia, from failure.

ozfflyer

Do you work for FJ? Every thread seems to be the 'bargain' FJ fares to USA.
not all all, but they do have the best fares to USA often & like stopping in Fiji. Plus would never even now pay to fly Qantas, with stance against Folau.

ozfflyer

Only if quoted in USD ...
the Australian dollar dropped a cent around Thu, but think it might recover tomorrow. It's been betwen 70 & 72 cents U.S. for roughly the last 12 months. This makes USA very very cheap, especially skiing, where now much cheaper to ski & get to than almost anywhere else. It's now cheaper to ski in Colorado for a week, than NZ, inc airfares, which is nuts, cos NZ skiing is very basic & USA skiing is some of best anywhere,

Last edited:

Franky

AFF Supporter
Flights
My Map
I'm obviously wiser with hindsight, but after the result last night can't see any sign of a massive recession any time soon...

DC3

AFF Supporter
Flights
My Map
the Australian dollar dropped a cent around Thu, but think it might recover tomorrow. It's been betwen 70 & 72 cents U.S. for roughly the last 12 months. This makes USA very very cheap, especially skiing, where now much cheaper to ski & get to than almost anywhere else. It's not cheaper to ski in Colorado for a week, than NZ, inc airfares, which is nuts, cos NZ skiing is very basic & USA skiing is some of best anywhere,
I wouldn’t call the USA cheap for quite a few years now. It was for a while. Not my idea of cheap, anyway.

GoldCanyon340

AFF Supporter
Flights
My Map
I wouldn’t call the USA cheap for quite a few years now. It was for a while. Not my idea of cheap, anyway.
I wouldn't call the USA cheap either. Terrible exchange rate and adding at least 15 to 20% to any F&B bill for tips makes it an expensive exercise. All very well to have a cheap(er) fare to get there but you have to eat.

Reactions: DC3

Franky

AFF Supporter
Flights
My Map
I wouldn't call the USA cheap either. Terrible exchange rate and adding at least 15 to 20% to any F&B bill for tips makes it an expensive exercise. All very well to have a cheap(er) fare to get there but you have to eat.
Agree with that, just spent three weeks in the US in February, and the bill in one hotel lounge bar had suggested tip rates of 18%, 20% and 23% - pick your number. The cost of living there is noticeably higher than we have previously experienced

• Agree

ozfflyer

I'm obviously wiser with hindsight, but after the result last night can't see any sign of a massive recession any time soon...
already in a recession, it's just going to be as bad now.

Last edited by a moderator:

ozfflyer

terrible exchnage rate ? Huh ?

It's today only a cent less than lowest in last 12 months (70-72 cents)

food is generally cheaper in supermarkets in USA than here. SO know a few people who are going skiing in Colorado & not spending very much at all. They are probably not going out to dinner much, as they have young kids, although resort has free evening childcare/dinner & they are not big tippers.

Franky

AFF Supporter
Flights
My Map
already in a recession, it's just going to be as bad now. No business confidence with alp-unions
I know this may be a technical point, but it has been mentioned above before about the conditions to call in the 'R' word, and we're not there yet. I can see enough in my own surroundings to know that things are flat, but that doesn't count.

ozfflyer

Agree with that, just spent three weeks in the US in February, and the bill in one hotel lounge bar had suggested tip rates of 18%, 20% and 23% - pick your number. The cost of living there is noticeably higher than we have previously experienced
you don't have to tip. Sometimes I will give 10% on the pretax amount or $1 tops per drink. Many yanks no longer tip at all. Go there many times a year & have seen many not tipping, but as soon as workers here a foreign accent they can try it on.

I suggest you give me $50 . Do you want my bank account details ?

• Haha

dajop

AFF Supporter
Flights
My Map
Can we please keep political commentary to the playground? There are various threads there for discussion of Folau, unions etc. I vehemently defend such threads in the playground in the face of criticism that they shouldn’t be on AFF at all, but 100% sure they do not belong in the “travel news” section.

Franky

AFF Supporter
Flights
My Map
you don't have to tip. Sometimes I will give 10% on the pretax amount or $1 tops per drink. Many yanks no longer tip at all. Go there many times a year & have seen many not tipping, but as soon as workers here a foreign accent they can try it on.

I suggest you give me $50 . Do you want my bank account details ?
I didn't say we paid the suggested tip, we chose our own amount in all of our transactions. You can suggest all you like - I like your choice but not your chances.

ozfflyer

ok found the email friends sent me about their costs in Colorado.

$37 us /day /adult for lifts with 4 kids free (94% off resort ticket window price) that's only $54 au.

$162 u.s /night, that's only $237 au/night & in January.

If Aussie dollar drops, resorts drop their prices in u.s. dollars, cos so many australians go there & they can't afford to lose them. There's so much competition in north america, but still cheaper to ski usa than canda, despite exchange rates.

AFF on Air Podcast

• jb747’s Stellar Career with Qantas – AIR013
    Sat, 15 Jun 2019 03:00:41 AEST
      In this special edition of the podcast, Matt chats to John Bartels (a.k.a. jb747) about his flying career with Qantas, the A380, the QF30 incident, flight training, retirem ...
  • Cheap Virgin Australia Business Class – AIR012
    Sat, 01 Jun 2019 03:05:28 AEST
      Find out how to get cut-price Virgin Australia Business Class tickets by buying and redeeming Etihad Guest miles! This episode also includes some listener Q&A and an interv ...
  • Star Alliance Status – AIR011
    Sat, 18 May 2019 09:39:41 AEST
      Find out how to easily earn Star Alliance Gold status with several different frequent flyer programs! This episode also includes an interview with John Blom, Australia’s ...
  • Premium Economy – AIR010
    Sat, 04 May 2019 00:21:32 AEST
      Premium Economy is a great compromise if you want a more comfortable experience than Economy, without paying for Business or First class airfares! In this episode, AFF’s ...
  • Hyperinflation of Points – AIR009
    Sat, 20 Apr 2019 04:49:59 AEST
      Frequent flyer points are a valuable currency, but they aren’t immune from hyperinflation! In this episode, Matt discusses why frequent flyer points are a terrible long-t ...

Community Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
joernos