300,000+ points ITEMS IN AWARDS CATLOGUE

Status
Not open for further replies.

PLANT

Established Member
Hi all,

Heres the deal,.... can someone email me a copy/attach a link to current awards above 300,000+ points for a standard card.

Basically parents are old and I don't have info(live in another state) to login and see whats available to discuss with them.

Cheers

I believe the only items > 300000 points are:

529,600 JVC 42inch Full HD LCD TV with DVB-T Tuner 811819
520,900 Delonghi Primadona Fully Automatic Espresso Machine 811867
495,000 Apple MacBook Air 1.6GHz 811891
471,300 Olympus E-3 Digital Camera 811799
398,600 Raymond Weil Freelancer Mens Watch 811872
354,400 Wilson Staff Full Set - Bonus Tour Bag 811873
332,300 Sony 40inch V Series Bravia LCD TV 811869

(I'm Plat though, so perhaps would get a different listing, but don't think so).

Of course there are lots of items under 300,000 points which you could add together. Cash rebates, all manner of electrical/sporting/home appliance and of course their Travel rewards and gift vouchers.

I think an electronic version of their main catalogue is here:
https://www.commonwealthawards.com.au/rewards/images/content/terms/AwardsList.pdf

There are individual catalogues that are released every three months or so, but the only one I can find is a Platinum one which may not be of much use.

Just looked at Sony and saw the V series aint FULL HD actually only $1700 rubbish!

Is Commonwealth the only rewards program that forces you to use points within a certain period as he keeps telling me he has too use them before they expire?

Saw the Autum Catalogue and rubbish!

PLANT said:
Just looked at Sony and saw the V series aint FULL HD actually only $1700

Here's the CommBank details on it:

Award Code: 811869
Description: The BRAVIA V Series is an integrated HD LCD TV with elegant Sony styling. With superior colour detail that only Sony can deliver, 1373 x 768p LCD panel, 10 Bit Panel, Bravia Engine, WCG-CCFL backlight 2nd generation, 2 x HDMI Inputs, BRAVIA Theatre Sync.
Model: KDL40V3100

Looking at the Sony site, yep, the RRP is $1,799.00.

PLANT said:
Just looked at Sony and saw the V series aint FULL HD actually only $1700 rubbish!

The V series isnt *that* bad.. I have the X and its pretty awesome but for a bedroom telly the V is pretty high up on my list....

But then again for 300k points i could get to MIA in J and that would get me to my next cruise!

thegurio said:
The V series isnt *that* bad.. I have the X and its pretty awesome but for a bedroom telly the V is pretty high up on my list....

But then again for 300k points i could get to MIA in J and that would get me to my next cruise!

Yeah the X series is outstanding :)

Any I agree - with 300,000 points you can get a RTW J class trip (worth about $10k) compared to a $1700 tv...

Cheers

JOBU

Cash back is sometime very attractive but CBA has a bad comparative ratio (Some are as low as 12500pt/$100, CBA is around 20000pt/$100). so for 300,000 points, you are looking for $1500 only. Not quite a good choice...

Another way to redeem a better range of rewards is to transfer to qantas. You can always check qantas' catalogue and see if you find any better options/deals available.

Furthermore, I used to sell qantas ffp to my friends and relative. (Although there are maximum cap & transactions limit imposed). But I do earn better $$$$ compare to cash back :evil:.

What rate did you charge family?
Folks do not have QFF as don't need it ;)
Oh its now 400,000!

The rate I charge depends on where they want to travel. And I only do it in 1x 100,000 ppt block. So there is no wastage.

Usually in average, I charge $1000-$1200 per 100,000 block.

Yeah the X series is outstanding :)

Any I agree - with 300,000 points you can get a RTW J class trip (worth about $10k) compared to a $1700 tv...

Cheers

JOBU
Jobu,

I agreed that this is a much better value way to spend points.

Found out classic to plat card will be able to transfer ALL points 1:1 in QFF.

Have assets and income for Plat card.

How do I get Plat card for free for the 1st year...ideas?

I have been told to speak with the bank manager in branch?

Will I be able to get Plat, QFF membership and transfer points from one to the other before 31st March?

Last edited:

According to the Qantas Frequent Flyer Direct T&C's it is 2:1 for a standard card, 1.5:1 for Gold, and 1:1 for Play

No idea, but there is also an opt-in fee for QFF direct.

What is this " opt-in fee for QFF direct"?????

Don't want the direct transfer "card" of Plat points to QFF program only for this transaction before(31 st March)....want to maintain true awards!

What is this " opt-in fee for QFF direct"?????
I'm not sure though I think the magic $10 was in there but not sure if it was per day/week or month. I threw my info in the bin.

Don't want the direct transfer "card" of Plat points to QFF program only for this transaction before(31 st March)....want to maintain true awards!
To use it prior to 31 Mar you just do the transfer.

Unless I'm missing something here I see the catch being the points are in the name of one of your parents so the QF FF account would also need to be in the same name.
CBA Awards Web Site said:
If you are a member of the Qantas Frequent Flyer program, you can redeem your Commonwealth Awards points for Qantas Frequent Flyer points.

Members can redeem Commonwealth Awards points in multiples of 750 points for Qantas Frequent Flyer points provided a minimum of balance of 3,600 Commonwealth Awards points is held before the redemption is made. If such a redemption results in a member’s Commonwealth Awards points balance falling below 3,600 points they are ineligible to make further redemptions under this award until their points balance is at least 3,600 points.

Only members who hold a Qantas Frequent Flyer membership account in their name can redeem Commonwealth Awards points for Qantas Frequent Flyer points. Once points have been redeemed they cannot be reversed and are subject to the Qantas Frequent Flyer program Terms and Conditions.
This would still work but the FF booking would need to be made from the parent's account. Consideration needs to be made that without FF status the availability of award seats is less.

Last edited:
Yes but the upgraded points must be used within approx 3 months. Don't quote me on the exact time line though.

I have been told to speak with the bank manager in branch?
The best bet IMHO. I managed to get it via my local manager a couple of times but not recently.

Will I be able to get Plat, QFF membership and transfer points from one to the other before 31st March?
The time line should work if you get moving. The transfer from CBA to QF takes 2-3 days only.

Does anyone know if this still happens?

Copied from 2005:
Note: They wont charge you the platinum fee until your anniversary date arrives, which provides a loop hole. He joined remained Platinum for 5mths and then cancelled, before his anniversary, therefore having to pay no extra fees!!

Yes the hole is still here :p
But ive heard if u continue to do that...they will not give you platinum anymore :shock:

So here is the risk that you need to take...

Right so looking at getting Earth card for QFF program.

Also going to get CBA Platinum to upgrade points.

Is QFF program the best option to convert points for Business flights to europe?

Is there a better program?

Which one?

To be honest, QF is one of the worst airlines for points burning...(Especially you earn your point thru flying) as it is diluted for credit card scheme.

But then there aren't many choices for you in Australia... So probably QFF is what you will go for...

My nab/CBA --> goes to QF
My Amex --> goes to CX

For example:

Return MEL-LHR, J, using asiamile = 175000 miles + TAX
Return MEL-LHR, J, using QFF = 256000 points + TAxx_XX

Bad for people who earns point thru flying...

But if we include the earning rate difference for using credit card. (25% discount because of the earning bonus or the exchange ratio)

Asiamiles: 175000 miles + Tax (No Change)
QFF : (256000x0.75) = 192000 + Tax

Still more expensive than Asiamiles...But you will be better off with QFF if you travel in Y...in this example only...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back