2017 Centurion Benefits

Status
Not open for further replies.

exp1k

I received a nice looking envelope with two black Amex luggage tags and a list of travel "enhancements" which includes a major devaluation of the provided insurance:

- Insurance now requires $250 spend on a return trip to be activated
- Cover for dependent children went down from $1,000,000 to $20,000
- very strict definitions of pre-existing conditions

There are also some increases in benefits and some new covers such as smart phone screen cover, but overall the above three changes are reason enough for me to think it is probably time to say goodbye to Centurion.

Absolutely disgusted that they would send us luggage tags and then rip the one decent benefit that I receive for my $5000 payment per year. They did this to Platinum cards a few years ago whereby your travel had to be purchased on the card and now they are penny and dining Centurion members that pay $5000 per year. If you are a Centurion member you will have to be very careful how you pay for your frequent tarvel and have to assess whether you are covered. I think the $5000 will cover me for annual travel insurance elsewhere, Goodbye Amex enough is enough!

IMHO the Cent travel policy was fabulous - not only did it not matter how / where / why you procured your travel as long as you held Cent you were covered. Not only primary cardholder but covered spouses and children of primary and supp cardholders. Such a policy for a smallish number cardholders say 5 or less has a commercial value of ~$1K. I ditched my Cent years ago and again IMHZo Citi Prestige slaughters Cent in terms of value I can squeeze out of it - but we are all different huh?

Is it $250 on flights or anything related to the trip? I like the ANZ model where you need to spend a similar amount on the trip but a hotel or local transport are sufficient for coverage...

PDS is very vague regarding this $250 spend requirement. Have sought clarification, but team only available Monday - Friday.

Given a domestic trip is defined as greater than 150km, unsure what travel provider would be required to book a 151km domestic road trip.

Will update once I've spoken to them.

Hi there did anyone else notice that Intercontinental Group is missing from the hotel list? I have my card until December and if this is also now gone, that will be the end of it for me. Many thanks

My understanding is that the $250 need to be spent before starting the trip. Assume you start a trip and then need the insurance before you have actually spent $250, would they accept, "Oh, but I was just about to spend the money tomorrow"? I think not.
Most of my hotel stays are only paid at check out, so from that it seems you would have to spend $250 on a flight or a prepaid hotel. Most short haul flights are under $250, international award flights mostly too.

The benefit of the existing insurance was that you just had it by default and dind't have to worry about anything like spending. What a stupid change.

Regarding Intercontinental, if that's important to you just transfer some points via Virgin Atlantic to IHG. They count for status and that way you can easily get Spire status.

Thanks exp1k I guess that I mean its another benefit lost and over the last 12 years of having the card, this has been a common occurrence. I loved Centurion but my love is waning fast. For me this loss of benefits may be the final straw as Im finding it hard to justify the $60k I have paid out for this card over the years, going forward.
Regarding the platinum IG card, I have 400,000 points in my IG account and no time to use them so I am loathe to move more over. Thanks for the suggestion though, always open to new ideas.

Would be fantastic if anyone is able to post a list of changes? My box will be at my place in Sydney and I won't be back till mid-May.. however I'll be charged my annual fee in April! Thanks team

Also fwiw I also have a UK Centurion and the Insurance offering is significantly better with an annual fee of £2200. Hopefully that won't be enhanced away t

PDS is very vague regarding this $250 spend requirement. Have sought clarification, but team only available Monday - Friday.

Given a domestic trip is defined as greater than 150km, unsure what travel provider would be required to book a 151km domestic road trip.

Will update once I've spoken to them.

Whilst my latest experience with Amex was not with a centurion card, but rather a platinum biz charge card, I spent endless hours chasing my tail trying to get clarification on the travel insurance aspect of the card , frankly the obfuscation and pointed description of the insurance as "complimentary " made me less and less interested in perusing the card. I was (twice) offers the centurion card, but failed to see the real value in it. And the platinum card is losing its shine as well.
If the travel insurance offering is improved and competes in the market, I will review my position.

Folllowing discussions with Chubb I can relay that the $250 must be pre-paid prior to trip commencement for the "complimentary" insurance to be activated.

Folllowing discussions with Chubb I can relay that the $250 must be pre-paid prior to trip commencement for the "complimentary" insurance to be activated.

Thanks for checking. This is where it gets murky. Does it have to be spent on hotel, flight or rental car deposit? Or can it be any purchase in the one of the countries of travel? What about Europe where you can drive to a different country without needing to book flights.

What a mess. Hardly a premium experience.

That's why I asked about what the spend has to be on. It's more versatile in my mind if hotels or activities that are prepaid (or internal flights/car hire) can trigger the insurance rather than requiring the in/out of Australia flights to be put on the card.
Obviously just holding the card and requiring nothing is easiest but as far as changes go it could be worse

Looking for some help and guidance from those in the know as I'm interested in the thoughts of those who've moved from Platinum charge to Centurion. It's worth noting upfront I haven't got an invite and may not even qualify.

I've held Amex for 10 years, previously Platinum Reserve and currently Platinum Charge since about 2015 (personal). I had planned on putting a fair amount on the charge card that year but found it wasn't accepted many places nor where I wanted to put the bulk of the charges so haven't bothered.

It's more widely accepted now I've found this year, so have started using it as the benefits make more sense (AFR, Hotels, Accor etc). For context we typically do a European trip every two years or so, 1st or business return for 3 of us, along with associated hotels and whatnot. Spend is all personal.

I've started using the card since March and averaging $30k a month now as I've moved the bulk of my monthly spend to it (have charged $250k in that time). I didn't use it much last year, about $70k (calendar $165 financial) and nothing the year before <$10k.

for those in the know that have moved from Platinum to Cent I'd be interested in the following
* Does that personal spend make sense from an eligibility aspect? If not, non issue but what is a typical spend pa? Personal, not business, probably makes no difference but my renewal / anniversary date for the Charge is Feb each year
* I'm predominately interested in the travel and dining aspects / deals available and if these are worthwhile over Platinum rates
* Are the travel deals and seats ( F , J class) significantly better than available elsewhere? We usually fly Etihad to Europe and Virgin domestically due to the mutual recognition (have Platinum Virgin status). I want to do some OS trips in the next 12/18 months and if there is a significant discount Amex travel can get at a cent level compared to platinum that would be interesting to know.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back