2007 Round Australia: Why Fly Non Stop When You Can Connect

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bundy Bear

Established Member
About 5 years ago I had this idea that it might be possible to fly via the southern state capitals on my way to Perth. In 2003 I considered flying to Perth during a Qantas seat sale, the time I had available and the cost of airfares made in impractical and so I ended up planning a multi stop trip to Hobart instead.

Our company sells marine products and every year in October there is a boat show in Western Australia. I started my search for flights back in June. I was trying to organize a trip using different airlines on the way to Perth in just one day. Qantas and Virgin Blue are the main 2 airlines in Australia but there is a number of smaller support airlines some indirectly owned by Qantas and others just code share partners. My initial plan was just BNE-SYD-MEL-ADL-PER; then I did some more searching to see what other options were available.

Jetstar has now recently introduced an early morning departure from Brisbane to Newcastle, which would connect to an Aeropelican service to Sydney. Then I considered SYD-MEL on Virgin Blue then I did some searching that with the introduction of the Dash8-400 operated by Sunstate Airlines(Owned by Qantas flown under the Qantaslink banner) could connect to a Dash8 service operated by Eastern(Owned by Qantas under the Qantaslink banner). Next was Melbourne to Adelaide I had originally considered Virgin Blue but then I noticed O’Connor Airlines (Qantas partner) flew to Mount Gambier which could connect to a Rex(Regional Express flight ) When I considered booking this combination O’Connor announces discontinued service to Melbourne. Back to the drawing board, O’Connor still fly out of Mount Gambier so I could fly Rex from Melbourne to Mount Gambier then O’Connor to Adelaide. One small problem was that the Rex flight departed at 3:35pm compared to the earlier 3:15pm previously offered by O’Connor. This would only leave 45 minutes connection time in Mount Gambier. Qantas was the only late night departure from Adelaide to Perth, so they were the only choice to get this itinerary completed in 1 day. Adelaide Perth had also just recently been upgraded to city-flyer service so increased range of food and alcohol.

Next part of the puzzle is that some friends were going to Cairns the weekend after the Western Australia trip. Should I fly home to Brisbane then head up to Cairns or do something different.

I looked at flying up to Broome for a few days then onto Darwin then Cairns. The Australian version of Skywest based in Western Australia operate flights to Broome and Darwin a few times a week, and Air North a Qantas partner offer flights from Broome to Darwin. From Darwin National Jet Systems who operate as Qantaslink operate a flight to Cairns on 717. From Sunday afternoon it would be time to head home. Virgin Blue had announced the introduction of the ERJ-170 but that was not starting until Tuesday 23 October. Other options I considered was Qantaslink Dash-400 all stops service to Brisbane or whether should I try MacAir(Qantas partner) based in North Queensland. They offer flights to Mount Isa and other small towns. I left the booking of the flights home late as Macair had just bought/leased an ATR42 but had not yet announced the ATR42 schedule. Just as I was starting to worry the ATR42 gets scheduled on Mount Isa – Townsville, and Cairns-Mount Isa was upgraded to SAAB340 and was brought forward 1 hour giving me a nice 2 hour turnaround time in Mount Isa. From Townsville I booked Virgin Blue home.

The route: Maybe you guys might have been to all these airports but I might also post it somewhere else so a map of where these places are is very useful.

48c367521d995ea80e5f7d2c6414e5d27f468c60.pjpg

BNE-NTL JQ481 A320- VH-VQL

Getting up and 4:15am for a 6:00am flight in no fun. I probably had the worst nights sleep on record for someone who wasn’t sick. I guess the prospect of flying on 7 different airline tickets cross country can give you a few nerves. Flying Jetstar you have to check in 30 minutes before departure or you loose your fare. Made it to the airport just after 5:00am checked in then got some breakfast from the Qantas lounge. Flying Jetstar as a Qantas Club member gets you lounge access. So I was able to get some breakfast before catching the flight on Jetstar.

Jetstar service is buy on board, as I already had eaten I didn’t need to purchase anything. The plane was almost full, can’t believe so many people want to get up so early in the morning. At least with a window seat I could rest against the side of the plane and also look out the window. We started our descent then flew over the airport towards the sea then did a 180 and landed to the west. Flight time was just under an hour.

NTL-SYD OT5010 EMB-110 VH-TLH

After arriving into Newcastle I then preceded to the check in area of Newcastle Airport. I found that Jetstar had the check in desks open for the return flight but no staff for the Aeropelican flight. I noticed that there were some passengers waiting for check in so I need not worry so much. All airlines suggest you arrive 1 hour before you flight but this is a small airline so no rush.

This flight had been scheduled as a Jetstream 32; Aeropelican had recently purchased 2 of these with a third on the way, so it was a bit of surprise to walk past the 2 J32s and take a seat in something else. The Embraer Bandeirante was due to leave the fleet soon so it was a bit of good luck to get a flight on this plane.

I had been carrying 2 bags with me. A bag with some clothes plus a laptop case. There was no way this small plane was going to fit the second bag. So the bag got gate checked. First time for me to get something gate checked.

The flight down to Sydney was about 25 minutes. The flight over Newcastle and the central coast was interesting but more interesting was the flying over Sydney harbour.

b9f36614129255f1033779656413ec02e48f30cc.pjpg

SYD-CBR QF1473 DASH8-400 VH-QOH

Aeropelican fly’s into terminal 3 so it required a transfer to the Qantas terminal.

I walked upstairs to the check in area and use one of the check in kiosks. Card goes in; card comes out; so it didn’t accept my card. This is not so good. I tried 2 times before giving up and trying a new machine. New machine accepts card; finds booking and then prints out the boarding pass. It didn’t give me the option for checking in for the other flights. So I would have to use the machines another 2 times.

This service from Sydney to Canberra was operated by Sunstate Airlines. Sunstate had recently taken delivery of 7 new Dash 8-400s and this particular aircraft had been painted pink in support of breast cancer.

06826e112b51f0857f2681ed250a90de2a775eb7.pjpg

Even though this is a Qantaslink flight boarding was from the main Qantas terminal. Service onboard was a drink and some morning tea. The small cake was covered in pink icing in support of breast cancer.

Flight was quick with smooth conditions. Qantas Q-400 was quiet and nice and roomy compared to the EMB110 but it was still a prop plane; there is just no making a prop feel or sound like a jet.

CBR-MEL QF2137 DASH8-100 VH-TQT

So I made it to Canberra, another visit to the lounge for lunch, place was practically empty. I guess Canberra is a government town so people usually fly in the morning and again in the afternoon but not during the middle of the day.

This Dash-8-100 was definitely a prop plane, old and noisy. This aircraft was operated by Eastern Australia another division of Qantas under the Qantaslink banner.

Lunch was served on this 1 hour 20 minute flight to Melbourne. Flight was full. Lucky I decided to change to a window seat because after lunch I need a rest; I guess waking up so early had got to me. Window seat also means more chance to take a picture.

79f26e61775eb03e74362de0525d1f22061ab49b.pjpg

We had been flying at 19,000 but as we were descending into Melbourne the flight got very bumpy, Melbourne was very cloudy with rain showers. I wasn’t even half way to Perth and I still had 2 prop planes to go.

MEL-MGB ZL3771 SAAB340 NOT

After arriving at Melbourne I proceeded to the other side of the airport. Domestic for Qantas is at the northern end while domestic for Virgin Blue and Rex is at the southern end. International is in the same building in the middle.

Rex has a single check in agent to the far left of the Virgin Blue check in area. After I reach the check in I was advised that I was going to Mount Gambier the check in agent advised me of a 20 minute delay. A 20 minute delay I could live with. I got my boarding pass for seat 3C Sequence number 21. I went down stairs through security and got another explosives test, second for the day. I had a look at the departure board and noticed that the Rex flight to Mount Gambier was showing a scheduled departure of 4:10pm. A delay of 35 minutes. My connection time in Mt Gambier was only 45 minutes and 10 minute transfer at even a small airport was cutting it way to fine. I noticed on the same concourse as Rex was a 5:30pm departure on Virgin Blue to Adelaide which I could catch.

I rang work and got them to check the Virgin Blue prices for flights from Melbourne to Adelaide; there was a departure at 4:10pm for $180 but the 5:30pm departure was showing $299.00. I found an internet kiosk in the main Virgin Blue concourse and noticed that the 4:10pm flight was now not available for online booking with it being less than 1 hour before departure and that the 5:30pm departure was indeed $299.00. The Melbourne website did indeed show the Rex flight to Mt Gambier was 4:10pm, 35 minutes late. I went to the Virgin Blue check in area; they have a separate counter for new bookings and other enquiries. I enquired as the price for the 4:10pm to Adelaide and they advised that it was available for $190.00($180 plus the $10) booking fee. I couldn’t take the risk of misconnecting at Mount Gambier, I had a flight to Perth at 7:55pm and prepaid accommodation in Perth.

I thought it would be better to get to Adelaide so brought a new ticket. I had been wondering what it would be like to buy a ticket at the airport. I showed them my ID, credit card and Virgin Blue Velocity card. After about 5 minutes I had a boarding pass for Adelaide, as I wasn’t checking in bags I didn’t need to go to the check in area and has it was 3:40pm they suggested I head through security as the plane would board shortly.

I went through the southern Rex security check area and went up to the Rex counter and showed them my boarding pass for Mt Gambier and asked to be taken off the flight as I wasn’t going to Mt Gambier. They asked me if I had luggage, no so it was an easy job for them to take me off the flight.

According to the Melbourne airport departures information ZL3771 departed 49 minutes late.

MGB-ADL UQ501 NOT

No idea what Mount Gambier is like or what the service on O’Connor would have been like. I did receive a miss call on the mobile when I made it to Adelaide so I guess they check to see if you are nearby.

MEL-ADL DJ547 737-800 VH-VOD

Then I went to the Virgin Blue area brought a drink and waited for my flight to board. This plane had the hump which meant this plane was fitted with satellite TV so there would be TV on the short 1hr 20 minute flight to Adelaide.

Boarding soon began with both boarding from the front and rear doors available. Pushback was a few minutes early. The satellite system is not turned on until about 15 minutes into the flight. Which on a short flight met the $5.00 was not worth it. You get 5 minutes of time to peruse the system to see if you want to continue. I watched SkyNews which was broadcasting the announcement of Boeings delay in the 787 program and that this would affect Qantas order for 65 787s, so a nice feature story on Qantas and Boeing on a Virgin Blue plane. After your 5 minutes of free viewing you are asked to pay your $5.00 and so knowing skyshow was free switched to that and read the inflight magazine.

Drinks and other snack items were available for sale. Even though I had brought this ticket less than 1 hour from departure 7C was in the forward of the plane so I found that the seat pitch wasn’t too bad and it also helps if you have a free middle seat.

ADL-PER QF599 737-838 VH-VYK

Adelaide Airport in now in a brand new terminal, and has only been open for less than 2 years. The terminal is parallel to the runway so you can watch the planes take off and land. Each of the aerobridges is glass which I haven’t seen at any other airport.

I was now an hour earlier than when I should have got there. I was going to check to see where O’Connor fly into Adelaide but I didn’t bother. I hadn’t thought to check where they arrive at the terminal. It wasn’t part of my plans.

3 hours what to do in Adelaide; Use the free wifi thanks Qantas and drink the free beer.

Qantas flight was about only half full. Dinner was a choice of chicken or lamb. I chose the lamb which was very good. Flights to Perth have free alcohol with the meal. Movie on today’s flight was Harry Potter movie which I gave a miss.

6 flights in one day; should have been 7 but you can't win them all. At least I got to Perth.

Yep, doing an AA (Around Australia) has been a dream of mine for ages. The fares, schedules and everything else have never added up to being a reasonable way to spend a day,weekend, or longer.

Cheers, looking forward to the rest of the journey. :)

PER-BME XR49 F100 VH-FNJ

After 4 days in Perth it was time to start my holiday for real and head up to Broome. Skywest use the same terminal as Virgin Blue.

Qantas has a separate departure terminal, but both terminals are full. The mining boom in worldwide has made for a huge increase in the amount of fly in fly out workers to the mines.

Skywest was a codeshare partner for Ansett in Western Australia. They used to fly Fokker50s to lots of smaller WA towns and as the mining has increased they have been buying some Fokker100s. I think they have been getting ex US Airways planes.

Perth departure area was full of people, some Virgin planes going back East and a few Rex planes heading off to other parts of Western Australia.

36a361a410f254fe0dbc75956626e15ee0a66471.pjpg

The Fokker100 was about 60% full. I had a row of 3 to myself, with a set of 2 seats on the left and 3 on the right.

Skywest advertise as having the roomiest cabins in Australia with 34 inch pitch, much better than Qantas.

Soon after take off a snack of nuts and a juice was offered. After about 30 minutes a lunch service was brought out, Lunch consisted of a meat pie with peas, a bread roll, water and tea/coffee. Soft drinks and beer was available for purchase.

Skywest has the inflight magazine OUTThere; the same one used by Rex. Stories in the centre are the same but the covers and the first few front and back pages are different. The magazine is a good size so there was plenty to read with the lack of inflight entertainment.

BME-DRW TL333 E170 VH-ANO

I was pretty lucky with my timing, Air North had just taken delivery of a E170 a few weeks before Virgin Blue E170 was to enter service. The flight number had been operating as an EMB120 and when the plane was upgraded I was lucky enough to score a flight using Qantas miles.

I arrived at the airport about 30 minutes before departure. I was trying to fit things into my time at Broome. The check in area was crowded. Qantas flight to Perth, Skywest flight to Darwin and the E170 service to Kununurra and Darwin.

The Qantas flight was late in arriving so our flight was also delayed waiting for connecting passengers.

The first segment was the 454 miles to Kununurra. Lunch was served on this flight along with a drink.

We were asked to deboard the plane, As Kununurra was serviced by jet aircraft the airport requires security screening for all passengers. The depart lounge wasn’t much bigger than a school class room.

A stop over allows a look at the airport, there is nothing so I will give it a miss next time but allows you a second shot at getting a photo.

070264b19a52c08474d62feb7ae09d2ca74101a0.pjpg

And also another picture inside the aircraft before everyone gets on.

73d26601fb5760427606b7ef34bf4598e0b8309f.pjpg

Another lunch roll and drink was served on the 273 mile flight into Darwin. Flight was only about 40 minutes so I am surprised that a snack was served.

How does an E-170 compare to other aircraft, its smaller 2x2 seating. I guess it gives jet performance that you can’t get on a Dash-8-400.

DRW-CNS QF1943 717-231 VH-NXI

There had been any number of options in flying between Darwin and Cairns, the cheapest one was the detour via Sydney on Jetstar or a flight via Alice Springs but the one I was really after was the 717 service from Darwin to Cairns via Gove. 717s had begun operation in Australia flying with Impulse Airlines. After Impulse was brought by Qantas the 717 was used by Qantas to start up Jetstar. Jetstar got bigger so they brought A320s and so National Jet who had been flying BAE146 aircraft upgraded to the 717.

Breakfast is served on the 400 mile; 1 hour flight from Darwin to Gove. The flight stops in Gove before continuing onto Cairns. The flight connects with an Air North flight that flies between Groote Eylandt to Gove. The Air North plane had some repairs to carry out so our flight onto Cairns was delayed waiting for connecting passengers.

The flight from Gove to Cairns was morning tea on the 677 mile service to Cairns. The 717 has no inflight entertainment so read a book or watch the world go by.

CNS-ISA CC5118 SAAB340B VH-UYH

I had been watching the schedule for the afternoon flights to Mount Isa for more than a month. When I started looking CC55118 from Cairns to Mount Isa the service had been operating as a Metro 23, with a scheduled arrival time into Mount Isa after 5:00pm. This didn’t leave much leeway in case of delayed service. I had been also been waiting for the scheduling of Macair new ATR42-500, the plane had arrived into Australia in May 2007 but wasn’t put into service until October 2007. Seems like the 2 schedules co-ordinated perfectly. The CNS-ISA flight was upgraded to a SAAB340b and the ATR-42 was scheduled for ISA-TSV.

Boarding was called at 1:40pm then we walked out past all the other planes and onto our aircraft a SAAB340B. We boarded the plane to already find passengers already onboard, who had flown up from Townsville. Strange; no service Townsville-Cairns. The SAAB340 has a flight attendant so at least we would get a snack on the 2 hour flight to Mount Isa.

The snack was a choice of nuts or cheese and biscuits plus a soft drink. The magazine on this flight was the one by Inflight Magazines, the same one that was on AirNorth and Aeropelican. Different covers of course but the same main stories. Inflight Magazine did have an article on the new ATR-42-500 and their relationship between Osborne Mines and Macair. Macair has been supplying contract fly in fly out service to Osborne Mines for 12 years. VH-UYH wore the titles of Osborne Mines.

ISA-TSV CC131 ATR42-500 VH-UYJ

Mount Isa; what can I say; small airport out in the middle of nowhere; about the same size as Gove; although Gove had there baggage reclaim inside. As Mt Isa has regular Qantas mainline service then there was a security check. Check in was open as soon as I arrived at Mt Isa. Seems like some passengers flew from Cairns have their destination as Cloncurry. I was a little worried as we had passengers already on our flight from Cairns to Mt Isa which concerned me of an imminent downgrade. The check in agent assured me that the service was being operated by the new ATR-42.

The plane arrived on time from Townsville; passengers got off and we were then allowed to board. The ATR42 has boarding from the rear of the plane.

The sun was in the wrong direction and I am not so keen on taking photos out on the tarmac.

aff16a1654047c60e7276e7bf2d0a6373e0c30a2.pjpg

The service to Townsville first stops off at Cloncurry (CNJ) which is 66 miles away and just over 20 minutes flying time at 9,000 feet. There was no service on this flight.

4a126cc1d85ad019779651e45d420a2085077192.pjpg

All passengers continuing to Townsville were asked to stay seated on the plane.

After about 15 minutes some passengers got off and some may have got on we were finally heading to Townsville.

I wasn’t sure what to expect, maybe a drink and a snack but a real meal with a drink was handed out soon after leveling out. It was a salad with some meat so more than I expected.

One of the problems in the delay of the aircraft was that the ATR42-500 seats 50 passengers. Macair didn’t want to fly an aircraft with 50 passengers with 2 flight attendants so eventually they were able to get authority to fly with only 1 flight attendant. On this flight there was actually 1 flight attendant plus the head trainer for Macair.

TSV-BNE DJ548 737-800 VH-VUH 1A

My trip around Australia had almost come to an end. When I checked in for the final flight home it was nice that I was allocated seat 1A. The check in agent was happy that I turned up as they might have moved someone to my seat if I hadn’t turned up soon.

There was no satellite dish so there would only be standard radio IFE which was fine, the satellite TV costs $5.00 and for any short flights of less than 2 hours it is not worth it. This aircraft was to be eventually transferred to Pacific Blue New Zealand.

Interesting how big Townsville is now. The airport has a new upstairs departure level after security. There were also 3 flights heading to Brisbane all within 30 minutes of each other.

Onboard service was the usual buy onboard. My other choice was Qantas but as there departure was at 11:30 they were still on morning tea where as on Virgin I could order a sandwich which was a better lunch option.

Flying around Australia on 10 different airlines was actually really worth the trouble of booking all the flights. It was unfortunate that Regional Express Rex weren’t able to keep to their scheduling as I missed flying on Rex and the follow on flight O’Connor Airlines who stopped flying in November 2007.

Nice report ^

I did 3 AA's in the 90's (e.g. MEL-PER-BME-AYQ-ASP-CNS-BNE-MEL) all in J. Cost for each was 37,500 QFF points and NO +++)

The Frequent Flyer Concierge team takes the hard work out of finding reward seat availability. Using their expert knowledge and specialised tools, they'll help you book a great trip that maximises the value for your points.

AFF Supporters can remove this and all advertisements

Fascinating trip report - I had hoped to do something like this linked to a DONE4 but the best I managed was syd-bne-drw-adl-syd.

Makes me more than a little jealous...

Great trip report Bevan.

Your trip sounds more exciting than my SYD-ADL-ASP-AYQ-PER-BME-DRW-GOV-CNS-SYD I did last year which cost me 70,000 QFF points and ~$100 in taxes.

Shame that the time when you could that trip for 20-35K QF points (with proper stopovers) [that were earnt per KM] is long over...

I'd like to see someone do BNE-PER on an AA award in a similar way.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Enhance your AFF viewing experience!!

From just $6 we'll remove all advertisements so that you can enjoy a cleaner and uninterupted viewing experience.

And you'll be supporting us so that we can continue to provide this valuable resource :)

Sample AFF with no advertisements? More..
Back