1 Qantas or 0.75 Krys Flier points

Status
Not open for further replies.

markhet

I have two an HSBC MasterCard that gives 1 Qantas point per $ and a St. George Amplify Visaccard that effectively gives 0.75 Krys Flier points per $.

On comparing the points cost and charges, I believe that 0.75 Krys Flier is worth more that 1 Qantas. Have I missed something? Do others agree or disagree with this view?

Welcome aboard markhet!!

Honestly if you believe 0.75 KrisFlyer points per $ is more valuable to you in your circumstances than 1 Qantas point then you've answered your own question :)

It would depend on your travel/flying habits. Are you locked in to a specific airline/alliance, do you have a specific points target in mind, how often do you fly, did you want to redeem points just for flights/upgrades or did you want to use the Qantas store etc.

Everyone has different needs and different expectations of how 'valuable' points are, and different means of accumulating them.

There is no 'right' answer when it comes to frequent flyer points - as long as your system works well for your situation then that's all that really matters. But personally I would take the KrisFlyer points over Qantas points but that's mainly because I don't fly Qantas ;)

A case study -

PER-HKG using CX/QFF-> 65000 QFF points ow.
PER-HKG using SQ/KF -> 32500 KF miles ow.

I know which one is worth more....

As said, depends on where you plan on using the points.

For me its QF as nearly all my trips are transpacific. If you head north or west then it might be Singapore is best.

If you don't plan on using them for flights then it's different again.

Last edited:
I do not use the same 2 cards but warehouse most points with AMEX. Plat Charge used for all airline, hotels and restaurant payments (including morning coffee) for a 2:2:3 earn rate. AMEX Explorer for everything else. Also a QF card just for non AMEX transactions.

Reason Plat Charge is is 1:1 for most of the programs I use QF, SQ, Asia Miles plus a coule of others. AMEX Explorer .75 for most programs less QF. These days most straight out redemption's are with SQ or CX due to lower miles rate and QF tax. Also VA points with the higher earn rate than QF are normally moved to SQ.

I try and get as many points for SQ as possible however as other have said up, it will be best whah works for you.

A case study -

PER-HKG using CX/QFF-> 65000 QFF points ow.
PER-HKG using SQ/KF -> 32500 KF miles ow.

I know which one is worth more....
I agree with what you said but if there isn't availability on the date you want with Sq but there is with Cx/QF....have points in BOTH programs to maintain maximum flexibility :)

From my experience, Krisflyer works out better nearly every time in terms of lower points needed to redeem flights, significantly reduced taxes, generally better availability and quite frankly a better product. Even on trans Pacific journeys I prefer SQ, noting it takes much longer. My affection for adorable native marsupials aside, Qantas has just never cut it for me and I only stockpile QF points as a standby when no other alternative exists.

I have two an HSBC MasterCard that gives 1 Qantas point per $ and a St. George Amplify Visaccard that effectively gives 0.75 Krys Flier points per $.

On comparing the points cost and charges, I believe that 0.75 Krys Flier is worth more that 1 Qantas. Have I missed something? Do others agree or disagree with this view?

Simple answer - yes - krisflyer more valuable. Much easier redemptions (generally lots of availability), much cheaper award levels, no fuel surcharges.

The on line discount with Kris Flyer is gone but they lowered the cash component to get the redemption. That change actually was ok as an enhancement.

Personally I value KF miles ahead of QF. But earn rates per $ are close to irrelevant in my opinion unless you have a business or method of manufacturing spend. 4-6 credit card bonuses a year probably get me close to 10 times what I’d earn through spend alone.

Personally I value KF miles ahead of QF. But earn rates per $ are close to irrelevant in my opinion unless you have a business or method of manufacturing spend. 4-6 credit card bonuses a year probably get me close to 10 times what I’d earn through spend alone.
+1000.

Yes we all have different circumstances. Some do credit card sign ups, some buy air tickets and some spend heaps on CCs. Finally there are folks who buy air miles/points. Of course there is no right or wrong on which you use to fly.
We have been impressed with Flight availability with Singapore Air so this card is helping.

The expiry on KF is an issue (if the points auto transfer). But KF is well ahead.

It is always good to be able to warehouse some Kris Miles as 3 years and about 11 months your points expire or you can pay to extend by 6 months.

The expiry on KF is an issue (if the points auto transfer). But KF is well ahead.

Yes it is an issue, but in general I don't think it is too an issue as long as you are aware it exists.

It is one reason why I do not cancel my Amex (or at least not all my Amex's ) as I use it as my KF warehouse. My wife's Amex though gets churned, as do most of our other cards.*

The QFF stash gets dipped in when it makes sense to do. ie Flights to South Africa are more direct than via *A.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back