Amex FHR bookings and status nights

sudoer

Qantas
Platinum
Virgin
Platinum
Star Alliance
Gold
Recently signed up for a Plat Charge card and have found a few good deals on Amex FHR.

I've read mixed information about whether FHR bookings are eligible for points and status nights with hotel loyalty programs. Could anyone with first hand experience (especially if Hilton, Accor or Marriott) let me know what they've found?

Also interested to hear experiences on Amex Travel (non FHR) bookings.

I booked with AMEX using one of the credit vouchers for Hilton Auckland in early 2019 and I cannot remember if it was through FHR or the standard online AMEX travel. Received the AMEX points for the co-payment, however did not receive credit from Hilton for stay/nights, points or diamond member benefits. I was not that surprised as the Hilton rules state that you need to book directly to get status benefits upgrades, points etc. however from experience some properties enforce the rules and others do not.

Last edited:
Thanks both. The Hilton AKL doesn't seem to be part of FHR so both your experiences match the Point Hacks articles on the Amex booking options:

Fine Hotels & Resorts - accrues points and status nights, must pay at hotel
The Hotel Collection - does not accrue, must pay at hotel
Amex Travel - does not accrue, must prepay with card, points or travel voucher

Last edited:
I have not booked a room through the FHR program, though have been tempted to a few times. I have used AMEX travel for flight bookings though – I had 3 bookings through them last year when COVID did its thing and they did a wonderful job advocating for a full refund for me and keeping in regular communication. All 3 bookings were for flights on Qatar Airways. I wouldn't hesitate to use them again, and in fact did in December when I combined 2 vouchers to get myself to the AFF Gathering in CBR.

Edit to add that I just realised you were talking about Amex Travel in the specific sense of hotel bookings only 😒

I have not booked a room through the FHR program, though have been tempted to a few times. I have used AMEX travel for flight bookings though – I had 3 bookings through them last year when COVID did its thing and they did a wonderful job advocating for a full refund for me and keeping in regular communication. All 3 bookings were for flights on Qatar Airways. I wouldn't hesitate to use them again, and in fact did in December when I combined 2 vouchers to get myself to the AFF Gathering in CBR.

Agree, I used Amex Travel for a Qantas booking (with a QF only travel voucher) which was subsequently affected by covid. They were great to deal with through all the changes.

I actually found a minor benefit to booking with Amex Travel instead of Qantas direct. The Amex engine books domestic legs of an international discount business itinerary into J instead of I resulting in some extra SC. Was also beneficial being in J when a domestic leg was cancelled due to Covid - rebooking was a piece of cake because of the wide availability. Will definitely use them again for international airfares whenever that recommences. Have you had any success finding discounts on IAP?

Edit to add that I just realised you were talking about Amex Travel in the specific sense of hotel bookings only 😒

How did you manage to combine two vouchers into one booking? Was this a manual thing where you just booked each sector as a separate booking or were you able to use two vouchers for one PNR?

How did you manage to combine two vouchers into one booking? Was this a manual thing where you just booked each sector as a separate booking or were you able to use two vouchers for one PNR?
I called up and asked if I could use both for the flight, it wasn't an instant yes, but I guess because of COVID they made an exception. I was booking J return though, so there was still a co-payment due by me ;)

I called up and asked if I could use both for the flight, it wasn't an instant yes, but I guess because of COVID they made an exception. I was booking J return though, so there was still a co-payment due by me ;)

That's a great outcome. Between the plat card (And reserver) my Ultimate and MrsDaver6's we have credits piling up from various refunds with multiple credit now from multiple years. Being able to combine will be really helpful.

The small number of times I've used FHR I've definitely received points and status credits in the hotel program. We got room upgrades by several classes at the Conrad Tokyo, too, so I suspect that was a combo of using FHR and having Honors Gold (and maybe their recognition that my wife also had Honors Gold).

BTW if you're ever looking for a place to stay in Tokyo using FHR, the Conrad was gorgeous and we were treated wonderfully.

Thanks both. The Hilton AKL doesn't seem to be part of FHR so both your experiences match the Point Hacks articles on the Amex booking options:

Fine Hotels & Resorts - accrues points and status nights, must pay at hotel
The Hotel Collection - does not accrue, must pay at hotel
Amex Travel - does not accrue, must prepay with card, points or travel voucher
I think Point Hacks might be wrong about The Hotel Collection. I stayed at the Grand Hyatt Atlanta back in 2019 on a Hotel Collection booking and definitely got points and status nights for it.

I think - but am not certain - that my most recent stay at the Hilton Sydney was booked through the Hotel Collection, and I did indeed earn points and status nights.

Very interesting, Google led me to this post about a THC booking earning Honors points. Perhaps this is specific to the rates negotiated with Hilton?

Frustrating that it's so hard to find information about this, you'd think Amex would advertise earning points & nights as part of the package if it was the case.

Recently signed up for a Plat Charge card and have found a few good deals on Amex FHR.

I've read mixed information about whether FHR bookings are eligible for points and status nights with hotel loyalty programs. Could anyone with first hand experience (especially if Hilton, Accor or Marriott) let me know what they've found?

@sudoer - if you don't me asking, what motivated you to sign up for a Plat Charge recently and are you happy with it generally? I'm currently looking into it, but I gather the free supplementary Reserve card (with additional travel credit) is no longer provided, which somewhat changes the value proposition.

The sign-up bonus points also seem uncertain - I don't currently hold any Amex cards, but I did until about 9 months ago, so I'm guessing I wouldn't get them (but I understand some others have got bonus points despite not being eligible per the T&Cs).

The travel credit, plus Accor Plus membership, plus AFR sub are all attractive for me, as is the ongoing earn rate and flexibility of points transfer. Not sure if this is enough to justify the fee though. And I have no idea about how much value I'd get from FHR etc.

Sharing my experience. Booked Conrad Singapore via FHR and definitely awarded elite stay and points.

More recently emailed Amex Plat Travel Team and they said can earn stays if booked through them (even non FHR) but if the travel credit is used then the hotel counts that as third party. In this scenario I did ask the team to liaise directly with the hotel for better rates given it was going to be an extended 30 day stay.

if you don't me asking, what motivated you to sign up for a Plat Charge recently and are you happy with it generally?

Getting a bit off-topic but I'll try to keep it brief! Motivations were:
- Existing Westpac Amex being discontinued next month
- Negotiated with Amex to be eligible for Plat Charge 150k + 50k MR bonus despite being only 10 months into 18 month direct Amex bonus exclusion
- Significantly increased monthly card spend in past 12 months (business expenses) so the uncapped earn/no preset limit is very useful
- Wanted to diversify points earn away from QFF (hold around 1.2m, and 500k in forward bookings) - worried about eventual QF deval post covid, and want to try SQ Suites one day hopefully
- $450 travel credit + Accor Plus free night
- Various small benefits e.g. roadside assist I value at ~$120/year
- Have read good things about FHR and IAP (see a lot of discussion about this on FlyerTalk) and wanted to see what the fuss was about

I've enrolled in the AFR sub benefit but it wasn't part of my motivation as I never would've paid for a personal sub. (work has subs if we need AFR access)

This didn't play into my decision to get the card but has been a nice perk: I ordered a supplementary card for a very close friend who's been stuck in the UK trying to return to Australia for several months. His flights have been cancelled multiple times. His latest itinerary has two very long stopovers and the supplementary card will get him and his fiancee into Plaza Premium lounges on the way home. If this next round of flights get cancelled he might even get a chance to visit the overdue LHR Centurion lounge...

Yes sorry about veering off topic but that's v helpful, thanks. How did you negotiate about the bonus points - did you just call them? If I could do that it would become a no brainer for me.

Yep, I called them and mentioned I'd received the letter about converting Westpac Black cards into Elevate Premium. I told them I wasn't interested in the Elevate as it would reset my sign-up clock. They initially offered the Qantas Ultimate with 40k QFF points for $3k spend. Explained I had less interest in QFF points and had been planning to open an MR card in August, wanted the Plat Charge, and I'd only really consider it if eligible for the sign-up bonus - otherwise I'd just push my spend into an uncapped Visa/MC til August. (averaged $15-20k/month over the previous 6 months)

Last edited:
More recently emailed Amex Plat Travel Team and they said can earn stays if booked through them (even non FHR) but if the travel credit is used then the hotel counts that as third party.

Good to know, thanks. I might try this out on my next stay.

Enhance your AFF viewing experience!!

From just $6 we'll remove all advertisements so that you can enjoy a cleaner and uninterupted viewing experience.

And you'll be supporting us so that we can continue to provide this valuable resource :)

Sample AFF with no advertisements? More..
Back