Centurion joining fee waiver

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dragon Curve

Hi guys,

I've received an invite for Centurion and plan to move forward with it, but I've read in a number of threads here that a few people have received waivers of the joining fee (which is the now substantial $5,000 on top of the $5,000 annual fee).

As much as I'm willing to spend the money on Centurion, I never sneeze at keeping $5,000, so I'd love to hear from anyone who was in a similar position and was successful at having the joining fee waived.

Cheers!

I received an invite late last year and politely asked for a waiver of the joining fee. After some time, they came back to me and waived it.

You’ve got nothing to lose by asking. I think with fees being. Front and center with the banking royal Commission, they might be more inclined to waive it if you ask :)

I received an invite late last year and politely asked for a waiver of the joining fee. After some time, they came back to me and waived it.

You’ve got nothing to lose by asking. I think with fees being. Front and center with the banking royal Commission, they might be more inclined to waive it if you ask :)

Well damn it, they didn't waive it when I asked nicely :(

Did you still take it up?

Nope, I couldn't justify the benefits. The points earn is tepid and the status perks are water to me.

Then again this was before the devaluation was announced. I may have joined if I knew that was coming...

Out of curiosity, what is your spending pattern that you got offered the card / what cards do you hold?

Also out of curiosity, what does it do for you that could possibly be worth $5k/yr ?

Also out of curiosity, what does it do for you that could possibly be worth $5k/yr ?

I was looking for a complete list of 2019 benefits and came up with nothing, but would also love to know what the differences are to the PC... is it just loyalty tiers that are 1-tier higher, or are there some extra ones, such as an airline loyalty programs for example? I believe Centurion HK gives CX Diamond for example.

Out of curiosity, what is your spending pattern that you got offered the card / what cards do you hold?

Very little on a day-to-day basis but 3-4 $300k+ big bang payments in a year. Compared to the 'legit' Centurion lot apparently not much, but I've also heard via other grapes on the vine that Amex is trying to actively 'expand' their membership base.

But clearly not enough to waive me the fee :')

Presumably not directed at me since I didn't take it up but yeah, I actually don't find the benefits all that worth it since I have no brand loyalty other than AU dom flying (where that goes to VA).

Post-deval, the points earn/points preservation would have been strong incentives for me to sign up but I wouldn't have known that that was coming. Too late now to risk!

I was looking for a complete list of 2019 benefits and came up with nothing, but would also love to know what the differences are to the PC... is it just loyalty tiers that are 1-tier higher, or are there some extra ones, such as an airline loyalty programs for example? I believe Centurion HK gives CX Diamond for example.

I'll dig out my PDF intro pack after I finish work today if no other current cardholder posts here before then!

Very little on a day-to-day basis but 3-4 $300k+ big bang payments in a year. Compared to the 'legit' Centurion lot apparently not much, but I've also heard via other grapes on the vine that Amex is trying to actively 'expand' their membership base.

But clearly not enough to waive me the fee :')

Thanks.

Interesting, I spent a similar amount but using the explorer, yet they didn’t offer me a the centurion, did you use the platinum charge before? And thanks for sharing the benefit list and your input

Thanks.

Interesting, I spent a similar amount but using the explorer, yet they didn’t offer me a the centurion, did you use the platinum charge before? And thanks for sharing the benefit list and your input

Never held the charge before ever. Just explorer/edge combo like many here.

You can actually ask Amex to join Centurion BTW and they'll consider your case individually. With your kind of spend, you stand a good chance of getting through.

Thanks, just a curiosity thing :)

So many of these you'll have heard before but here we go again:
  • 'Preferential' fares when flying with select airlines (all classes, anecdotally not all that great)
  • Lounge access similar to PCharge (Cent counts >1100 lounges)
  • 1x QF Club membership
  • Complimentary EK Gold, Radisson Gold, HH Diamond, Golden Circle Diamond, SPG Gold (uh, whatever equiv this is in Bonvoy), Hertz President's Circle, Avis President's Club
  • Chauffeur drive from home to airport for any flight booked through Centurion travel (a nice benefit but shame it doesn't extend to a drive from your dest airport to dest hotel/accom)
  • Centurion 'international arrival services' - unclear what this is but expedited customs/immigration seems to be one of them
  • Fine hotels & resorts program (I think this is the same as the charge)
  • Membership to 'The 100 Club'. It's a golf club and membership is valued at supposedly $1800
  • Invites to special events - Grange Wine Dinner, Melb Cup Amex marquee, Rolex Syd to Hobart
  • 'Comprehensive' travel insurance for entire family
  • 1x supp card (cent), 4x plat charge supp cards allowed.
  • Can apply for free plat reserve
*takes a deep breath*

So many of these you'll have heard before but here we go again:
  • 'Preferential' fares when flying with select airlines (all classes, anecdotally not all that great)
  • Lounge access similar to PCharge (Cent counts >1100 lounges)
  • 1x QF Club membership
  • Complimentary EK Gold, Radisson Gold, HH Diamond, Golden Circle Diamond, SPG Gold (uh, whatever equiv this is in Bonvoy), Hertz President's Circle, Avis President's Club
  • Chauffeur drive from home to airport for any flight booked through Centurion travel (a nice benefit but shame it doesn't extend to a drive from your dest airport to dest hotel/accom)
  • Centurion 'international arrival services' - unclear what this is but expedited customs/immigration seems to be one of them
  • Fine hotels & resorts program (I think this is the same as the charge)
  • Membership to 'The 100 Club'. It's a golf club and membership is valued at supposedly $1800
  • Invites to special events - Grange Wine Dinner, Melb Cup Amex marquee, Rolex Syd to Hobart
  • 'Comprehensive' travel insurance for entire family
  • 1x supp card (cent), 4x plat charge supp cards allowed.
  • Can apply for free plat reserve
*takes a deep breath*

Thanks for that list. There are some big differences, but lots of privileges appear to stay the same – or as usual seem lacklustre – when I would expect them to increase. Such as, why do you still only receive Bonvoy Gold when other programs give the equivalent of a Platinum membership (not even mentioning with the new Bonvoy program there's a level above that anyway). The Avis membership is really only useful in North America, it doesn't count for anything elsewhere from what I can tell? EK Gold is nice, but I'm not sure why they couldn't have negotiated QF or VA Gold (I know the latter already gets lounge access with the card on a PC anyway). I got an invite to the Grange dinner as a PC the other day...

I'm mostly speaking rhetorically, but for an extra $3550/year it seems like they are really skimping on what they should be offering. Luckily, I doubt they'll be offering it to me any time soon ;)

I agree, there are lots of similarities with Platinum Charge (PC). The PC AF is easier to get your head around by valuing certain benefits (like the $850 in travel credits and Accor Membership based on the rack rate). I don't recall getting any worthwhile invites with Platinum other than to 'VIP' nights for certain retailers. I did get something about Sydney to Hobart. Probably should be Centurion alone unless there aren't enough Centurions alone to sell out events.

Centurion AF can't be justified based on retail value of perks alone. Good to see it's now the highest earning Amex (not by much but it officially is). It's about intangibles such as the value of the 'Relationship Manager' (RM). If you utilise the RM, they're worth heaps more than the extra $3550 AF. If you don't, perhaps the PC is going to tick enough boxes and have sufficient 'prestige'.

It's about intangibles such as the value of the 'Relationship Manager' (RM). If you utilise the RM, they're worth heaps more than the extra $3550 AF. If you don't, perhaps the PC is going to tick enough boxes and have sufficient 'prestige'.

Yep.

And with regards to the RM, I feel that realistically I'd only use them for travel arrangements (since I like to be in control for other aspects of my life), which a good travel agent could do. So yeah, while I can definitely picture other cent cardholders utilising their RM, I personally probably never could/will.

Centurion AF can't be justified based on retail value of perks alone.

The 'prestige' of slapping your black card down in front of everyone to show off how great you are: priceless /sarcasm :D

Agreed. Not much ‘Prestige’ in that. More likely to be viewed as showing off and backfire if that’s your reason for getting one. Or put you on the radar of the wrong people.

A card won’t give you self worth.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back