Status
Not open for further replies.

DeKa

Established Member
Qantas
Gold
Virgin
Red
This is resurrecting Citibank Signature replaced wih Visa Infinite (but not Prestige) which is now locked.

With my interest in Citi Signature FFL being reinvigorated due to the Amex changes in April 2019, I’m trying to figure out what, if any, benefits there are in using my Citi Signature FFL which is now branded Infinite as per the prior thread, and I’d the earn or redemption rates are any different.

All I can find is some sort of Hilton benefit (but I’m already Diamond) and a limo offer (which I wouldn’t use) and no difference in earn or burn rates.

I can’t find anything with clarity on Citibank’s site, and I’m not sure I want to call them.

Does anyone know what the Infinite branded Signature actually offers, if anything, over the “normal” Signature?

My Citibank Siganture FFL has just transformed into a Premier Card - no idea what that means!

Looks like Citi are harmonising their global credit card brands. In the US, it's their mid-tier proprietary rewards card. Next step up is the Prestige.

Looks like Citi are harmonising their global credit card brands. In the US, it's their mid-tier proprietary rewards card. Next step up is the Prestige.

Ah ok, no letter accompanied the card so clearly doesn’t mean anything (yet).

Card design is suave though and no embossed numbers or details on front has had a few comments when paying!

Numbers on the back seems the way it’s been going big with Citi starting the trend. New Amex metal platinum cards are the same numbers on the back and etched not embossed. As much a sign of prominence of the issuer’s brand as well as the imprint readers having long disappeared which was the original reason for the embossing.

I quite liked the embossing.

Does anyone know what the Infinite branded Signature actually offers, if anything, over the “normal” Signature?
From memory the whole Signature/Infinite branding frankenstein thing was introduced purely as a way for Citibank to bolster their merchant interchange fee at a time when the government were introducing legislative changes to cap interchange fees. It was their quick and dirty simple change that side-stepped the legislative changes forced upon them to keep going their income stream. The 'Infinite' interchange level in the Visa system heirachy is higher than the 'Signature' level, so by branding the card 'Signature' to the cardholder, but under the table as 'Infinite' to the merchants when being processed, it yielded the best of both worlds, like they had before the legislative capping. No more expensive benefits to the cardholder, but the higher interchange fee of 'Infinite' level Visa.

Of course when they did this it created a lot of confusion to cardholders. My card is FFL Signature too. It says so everywhere except in the bottom right hand corner of the front of the card, where it says Infinite. What the hell does that mean? To me the cardholder it means nothing. To the merchants I give it to, it means higher processing fees. Unfortunately Citibank understandably didn't bother explaining this to anyone.

I believe this workaround loophole has now been closed further by legislation, so there's no point in Citibank continuing the double branding, but I haven't had a new card issued since my Signature/Infinite frankenstein one, so I don't know what Visa branding the current cards display.

Hmmm.. well my FFFL signature unfortunately still says ‘Signature’ in the bottom right corner.. I was wondering if all of your spontaneous upgrades(?) might be the result of a credit increase or something?

I wonder, has anyone had the fabled upgrade to ‘Prestige’ whilst maintaining their fee free for life status lately? I’ve had a limit of $35K for a while now and am wondering if that will be enough for a positive outcome on request.

I was wondering if all of your spontaneous upgrades(?) might be the result of a credit increase or something?
My card was renewed with the Infinite branding version when it expired of natural causes, not force replaced by fraud or other dodgy means. It just came with Infinite on it for no apparent rhyme or reason.

I wonder, has anyone had the fabled upgrade to ‘Prestige’ whilst maintaining their fee free for life status lately? I’ve had a limit of $35K for a while now and am wondering if that will be enough for a positive outcome on request.
In the current credit clamp down climate, I really wouldn't rock the boat IIWY. I wouldn't be pushing my luck. My credit limit is a lot higher than yours and I wouldn't consider trying to weasel my way into Select/Prestige (or whatever they like to call it now)

I'll have to wait a few months and see what my replacement FFL Signature card says.
Current card says Signature

I moved from Platinum to Select (at the time) as I had the qualifying limit. They did take some convincing though as it meant I wasn't supplying other information like income (I exceeded it if they needed to see it). It took me about 2 weeks of gently prodding and reminding until I got to 'yes'. Might be worth asking since it's less of a jump than mine from Platinum at the time. Policy may have changed but effectively, if you meet the credit limit requirement, they're picking up a higher annual fee (I don't think they'll grandfather FFL but you never know) and not taking any extra credit risk on you.

With the new earn structure, I've moved back to Simplicity no AF product so I can avoid a new application and assessment (likely no sign up points) depending on changes with the competition. The credit card game is constantly changing - Prestige might get competitive again depending on what the competition do. Amex still looking good despite the recent devaluation and without the confusion of which merchants qualify for bonus categories. Lots of transparency on MR points too whereas Citi didn't provide tracking - although I did check each statement and were usually in the ballpark of what I was expecting.

I don't think they'll grandfather FFL but you never know
I think there's absolutely no chance of that at all. In fact in even trying to upgrade yourself they'll probably cancel your FFL Signature as the first step thus relinquishing you of that deal and then do the application for the Prestige which will then be denied and you'll be left with neither a prestige card nor the FFL signature you gave up for the exercise.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back