How best to use 500,000 Amex Explorer Points - SYD to LONDON

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nik17

Hi, two of us are looking at traveling from Syd to London in July next year. We dont need to fly in on a certain date, but need to be there by the 11th of July (obviously the closest to that date the better).

We are looking at staying over for approx. 3 weeks.

We want to fly either business (or first class). I understand first would mean paying extra on top of using points and is unlikely - but just trying to figure out the best way to use these points to get the best return trip? Ie which airline to convert to for best value and where can I go to put in some 'practice' flights and dates to see options available?

Thanks!

First step might be to open a Platinum Edge account to turn your Explorer (Gateway) points into more valuable Ascent points. With 500k it'd make quite a difference.

First step might be to open a Platinum Edge account to turn your Explorer (Gateway) points into more valuable Ascent points. With 500k it'd make quite a difference.

Thanks, is there somewhere I can go to read about the difference in tbese points and how to work ot the best option? Eg I have bo idea why Ascent points would be more valuable

Ascent (Platinum Edge) transfer 1:1 to airline partners while Ascent Gateway (Explorer) transfers 4:3, so it would be worth 25% more if you could get it linked.

Thanks, is there somewhere I can go to read about the difference in tbese points and how to work ot the best option? Eg I have bo idea why Ascent points would be more valuable
I just did this in the last week after ordering the Plat Edge card and got my 192,500 AMEX Gateway points transferred to Ascent points. Also now having all AMEX Explorer points going straight into Ascent. Definitely worth it!

There are instructions in the AMEX forum. I used these instructions on the phone with AMEX CS: Wiki - The Explorer Credit Card (New AMEX Card!)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Enhance your AFF viewing experience!!

From just $6 we'll remove all advertisements so that you can enjoy a cleaner and uninterupted viewing experience.

And you'll be supporting us so that we can continue to provide this valuable resource :)

Sample AFF with no advertisements? More..
Back