Using American Express Travel to book return flights- Aust to NYC

Status
Not open for further replies.

KJP

Using American Express Travel to book return QF flights - Aust to NYC

I'm hoping to take advantage of the QF Companion Fare Sale which ends tomorrow (7 Nov 2018) & looking to book return Business Class flights from ADL/NYC (JFK) for me, my Husband & our Son in Jan 2019 (will be in NYC for approx 10-12 days).

Wondering if anyone has booked their flights previously through American Express Travel online as I have a $450 credit to use (as part of my AMEX credit card) & how their service is/has been, any issues experienced & if so, what they were, we also might have to change flight dates so how to go about them - do you contact them or QF ? Any other comments ?

Look forward to your advice, feedback & assistance which is greatly appreciated.

Thanks muchly !!

Any changes would have to go through Amex Travel, and usually have a charge separate to any airline imposed charge depending on the ticket conditions. This should be noted on your booking page with Amex (assuming you do it online).
Also check the Amex prices match what you are expecting per the QF sale.
Not sure if changing flight dates after the sale ended would also have an airline imposed fare difference.
No problems encountered making use of the travel credit, as long as you are aware of the above

Last edited:
I've used them (via the platinum line) recently to book QF flights to South Africa. I already knew all the flights I wanted and found the experience to be painless.

If you wish to make changes though, you need to go through Amex Travel. They will have their own additional change fees though which is unfortunate.

The change flight process with AMEX Travel is a pain. Along with airline change fees, AMEX also imposes thair own fees, which combined effectively reduces the $450 value by half, there is a use-by date to rebook if you don't do it straight away, and you cannot change the names of the passengers on the rebooked fare.

So I guess the rule is to book as close to the flight departure date as possible.

The change flight process with AMEX Travel is a pain. Along with airline change fees, AMEX also imposes thair own fees, which combined effectively reduces the $450 value by half, there is a use-by date to rebook if you don't do it straight away, and you cannot change the names of the passengers on the rebooked fare.

So I guess the rule is to book as close to the flight departure date as possible.

That's exactly my recent experience - I lost half the value of my travel credit due to a combination of AMEX travel and Virgin change fees when needing to change AMEX travel flights using the $450 travel credit. However, I found AMEX travel obliging and responsive to deal with and I wasn't annoyed with them - their T&C's are very clear that it's much better to use the travel credit when you feel very certain that you won't make changes to a flight (I had to unexpectedly change my fares for a very nice reason, so it was all good!)

The other quirk I've found with the change process is that you can't do it online, you'll need to call to make any changes, which is a bit of a pain.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back