Status
Not open for further replies.

goldenhorn

Qantas
Bronze
Virgin
Red
Hey guys,

I signed up for an AMEX black explorer card a couple of years ago for the 100K Membership Rewards bonus.

I've just finished the AFF training program, and it sounds like it's not the best card for getting points.

What's your opinion on this card? Do you recommend the Platinum Edge or Ascent to get better value with the points?

Any thoughts from AMEX users would be appreciated!

IMHO the Explorer is definitely not a bad card when it comes to earn rate. For the Platinum (Ascent) and Platinum Edge cards you probably want to work out how your spend compares in their bonus point categories.

In addition to the Amrx Explorer, get the Amex Edge card...link the 2 cards so that you get 2 Ascent points per $ spent on Amex Explorer....use the Edge only at supermarkets to get 3 Ascent points per $ :)

In addition to the Amrx Explorer, get the Amex Edge card...link the 2 cards so that you get 2 Ascent points per $ spent on Amex Explorer....use the Edge only at supermarkets to get 3 Ascent points per $ :)
Sounds good! When you say ‘link the 2 cards’, what exactly do you mean?

What kpc said

Once you have the Edge, phone up Amex and have the explorer linked to the edge so the explorer earns Amex accent points instead of Amex gateway points. It may take numerous calls to Amex to find an agent that will do it for you- but it is worth the effort

What kpc said

Once you have the Edge, phone up Amex and have the explorer linked to the edge so the explorer earns Amex accent points instead of Amex gateway points. It may take numerous calls to Amex to find an agent that will do it for you- but it is worth the effort
Thank you for clarifying. That’s awesome advice!

What's your opinion on this card? Do you recommend the Platinum Edge or Ascent to get better value with the points?

Any thoughts from AMEX users would be appreciated!

Depends on where you spend and how much you spend....and then to a lesser extent if your into gift cards.

I started with Amex Velocity Platinum and then converted to Plat Edge and only hold that card.
- 90% of our spend is on Woolworths e-gift cards (@ 3 points per dollar)
- I then spend on groceries at Woolies, or buy Visa gift cards at Woolies (large amounts when an offer is on)
- which then pays bills, other expenses, buys Coles cards at 5% off etc etc.

Works for me, but there’s lots of methods people use.

Thanks for your help guys. Just applied for Platinum Edge on behalf of retired hubby and got instant approval. Gotta love that! Ordered a secondary card for me too so should have it in next week.

I'm going to try and link it to the AMEX Explorer card like @Steady suggested and ask them to have the cards give us Ascent points instead of Gateway points.

Wish me luck!

Depends on where you spend and how much you spend....and then to a lesser extent if your into gift cards.

I started with Amex Velocity Platinum and then converted to Plat Edge and only hold that card.
- 90% of our spend is on Woolworths e-gift cards (@ 3 points per dollar)
- I then spend on groceries at Woolies, or buy Visa gift cards at Woolies (large amounts when an offer is on)
- which then pays bills, other expenses, buys Coles cards at 5% off etc etc.

Works for me, but there’s lots of methods people use.
You know, I started doing all my shopping at Aldi a couple of years ago because the $ savings are good. But I'd consider going back to WW and buying e-gift cards if it could really help me pump up my points.

Remind me, what's the benefit of buying the cards over purchasing groceries directly?

Is it that you get the AMEX points for the cards, and then get them again for the groceries when you use the cards?

You know, I started doing all my shopping at Aldi a couple of years ago because the $ savings are good. But I'd consider going back to WW and buying e-gift cards if it could really help me pump up my points.

Remind me, what's the benefit of buying the cards over purchasing groceries directly?

Is it that you get the AMEX points for the cards, and then get them again for the groceries when you use the cards?

5% discount if bought via RACQ (or equivalent) or Entertainment Book (there are other sources too) and 3ppd when paid for using the Amex Edge CC.

You earn WOW points on your shop which can convert to QFF points or $$ off your shop.

Interesting - we received our Plat Edge cards yesterday so I called this morning to ask them to link the Explorer and Plat Edge cards so they both send points into Ascent program, and they told me they are automatically linked now and the points always go to the higher value program. Cool!

How would I confirm this is actually happening? Would it be stated in the Membership Rewards dashboard or somewhere else?

Interesting - we received our Plat Edge cards yesterday so I called this morning to ask them to link the Explorer and Plat Edge cards so they both go into Ascent program, and they told me they are automatically linked now and the points always go to the higher value program. Cool!

How would I confirm this is actually happening? Would it be stated in the Membership Rewards dashboard or somewhere else?

If you go to the Explorer card, it should say:

Your loyalty information is linked with your card ending- xx_XX

Please switch to this card in order to view

(where xx_XX corresponds to your Edge)

I signed up for an AMEX black explorer card a couple of years ago
Just applied for Platinum Edge on behalf of retired hubby ... Ordered a secondary card for me too ... I'm going to try and link it to the AMEX Explorer card

It sounds like your new Platinum Edge earns points for your hubby's MR account, and the Explorer for your own MR account.

I could be wrong, but don't both cards need to be "owned" by the same person in order to link the rewards?

You'd need to apply for the PlatEdge in your name or the Explorer in your hubby's name to have them linked.

It sounds like your new Platinum Edge earns points for your hubby's MR account, and the Explorer for your own MR account.

I could be wrong, but don't both cards need to be "owned" by the same person in order to link the rewards?

You'd need to apply for the PlatEdge in your name or the Explorer in your hubby's name to have them linked.
No, they are both owned by husband and I have supplementary cards for both.

Just trying to work out if there's any benefit in keeping the explorer (if I can link it to Ascent program) or we just run everything through Plat Edge now.

All good.

I just called AMEX (Sat afternoon, Sydney time) and got a manager in the Sydney office.

He linked my Explorer and Plat Edge cards, so all points are going to the one Ascent program now. AND, he's transferring my 192,500 Gateway points to the Ascent program too. Said it should all be completed by Monday afternoon so will check then to confirm. :)

All good.

I just called AMEX (Sat afternoon, Sydney time) and got a manager in the Sydney office.

He linked my Explorer and Plat Edge cards, so all points are going to the one Ascent program now. AND, he's transferring my 192,500 Gateway points to the Ascent program too. Said it should all be completed by Monday afternoon so will check then to confirm. :)
Nice work!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back