Amex Travel Credit-Frustrating room descriptions

Status
Not open for further replies.

unfunkable

Not sure if it's just me, but does the room type of a lot of the hotels sound ambiguous?
All I want is a twin double bed or twin queen bed or twin king bed (4 people in total, 2 in each bed).
Anything but a twin single bed.

One hotel in particular room type is TWIN STANDARD - is this twin single beds?
Then there is another room type DOUBLE DELUXE - double what?
Would the AMEX operators know if I rang and queried what the bed configuration is of the hotels?
Does anybody know the bed config of the above rooms?
cheers

Not sure if it's just me, but does the room type of a lot of the hotels sound ambiguous?
All I want is a twin double bed or twin queen bed or twin king bed (4 people in total, 2 in each bed).
Anything but a twin single bed.

One hotel in particular room type is TWIN STANDARD - is this twin single beds?
Then there is another room type DOUBLE DELUXE - double what?
Would the AMEX operators know if I rang and queried what the bed configuration is of the hotels?
Does anybody know the bed config of the above rooms?
cheers

Yes I think Amex should sort that out...if there is a question they ring the hotel. twin 2 single beds...double is double bed...deluxe king?

Twin can also be a Queen and a single.

I've also seen where Superior and Deluxe are the same size room.

The one that gets me the most with Amex hotels is leaving out Smoking/Non Smoking.

Which then brings me to the hotels in Asia where some room types are Smoking/Non Smoking. So if I book one of these rooms will I get Non Smoking as per my request? "We will try to accomodate you as best we can". No thanks.

The Amex travel website is shockingly bad.

Would be much better if the credit was truly a credit, against any travel-related expenditure on your card.

Sometimes you can get a better description from the actual hotel's web site and match that back to the room type naming that Amex is using. But that does not excuse Amex from their poor information base.

The Amex travel website is shockingly bad.

Absolutely, frigging awful is how I would describe it. It really can't be that hard for them to do a better a job. My other beef, as a Platinum Charge card holder, is that I still have to go online to use the Reserve and Edge travel credits even though I can use the Charge credit over the telephone. That just strikes me as a rule for a rule's sake.

Then there is the car hire booking engine - don't even get me started on that!

Would be much better if the credit was truly a credit, against any travel-related expenditure on your card.

Agreed. As soon as you spend more than the travel credit in something that earns points in the travel related category, they should either automatically deduct the travel credit from your statement or give you an option online to apply the travel credit to a particular, qualifying transaction.

I winged and booked a room , fingers crossed it sleeps 4.
I booked a room once thinking it was twin double, but it ended up being twin single. Kids on the couch on that stay.

If anyone is interested it seems like hilton is having sale. A few days ago it was $200ish per night for a family room. Apparently king bed in one room, and its attached to a twin bed in another room. I spoke to 4 online chat consultants to confirm this, as I was not sure if you had to book 2 family rooms and get them connected. Breakky included as well - this was Hilton in penang.

Absolutely, frigging awful is how I would describe it. It really can't be that hard for them to do a better a job. My other beef, as a Platinum Charge card holder, is that I still have to go online to use the Reserve and Edge travel credits even though I can use the Charge credit over the telephone. That just strikes me as a rule for a rule's sake.

I had no issue using the Reserve credit over the phone and even made payment with the charge card. This was for a flight booked a couple of months ago.

I had no issue using the Reserve credit over the phone and even made payment with the charge card. This was for a flight booked a couple of months ago.

I have always been told 'no'. The last booking I made was over the telephone and I asked to use my $400 travel credit but was told, straight up, that it had to be used online and that I could only use my $300 credit over the phone.

Last edited:
I have always been told 'no'. The last booking I made was over the telephone and I asked to use my $400 travel credit but was told, straight up, that it had to be used online and that i could only use my $300 credit over the phone.

Useful to know. Looks like a case of HUACA in future...or perhaps I just got lucky.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Enhance your AFF viewing experience!!

From just $6 we'll remove all advertisements so that you can enjoy a cleaner and uninterupted viewing experience.

And you'll be supporting us so that we can continue to provide this valuable resource :)

Sample AFF with no advertisements? More..
Back