70,000 Gateway points or move to Ascent?

Status
Not open for further replies.

MiLK_MaN

Called up AMEX the other day to see if I could move from my Explorer card to a Platinum Edge card.

Was surprised when the operator offered 70,000 points to stay with the Explorer card.

My job just changed, so a lot of travel expenses are going to go on the card. I think the yearly card fee is not due for another couple of months, so thinking the 70,000 points offer is OK even with the conversion difference to the various airlines on Gateway vs Ascent.

Thoughts?

Called up AMEX the other day to see if I could move from my Explorer card to a Platinum Edge card.

Was surprised when the operator offered 70,000 points to stay with the Explorer card.

My job just changed, so a lot of travel expenses are going to go on the card. I think the yearly card fee is not due for another couple of months, so thinking the 70,000 points offer is OK even with the conversion difference to the various airlines on Gateway vs Ascent.

Thoughts?
Take the 70k then move over to ascent when the points are credited?

My thoughts are you should have both cards and link the Explorer to the edge.

Take the 70k Gateway points, then get a Platinum Edge, then work on getting the Explorer linked to the Edge - this can take numerous calls - or you could be lucky :)

The 70k points is well worth staying for!! I’d also recommend apply for an Edge as a second card and then linking your Explorer to it for the best earning card combo in the country!

3pts per $ at the supermarket and 2 pts per $ everywhere is is very hard to beat!!

Would be interested in knowing how many gateway points you had on your explorer at time of call as a 70k offer to stay would be quite smart on amex's part of you have a balance of say 500k and a good chance of getting them all converted 1:1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Enhance your AFF viewing experience!!

From just $6 we'll remove all advertisements so that you can enjoy a cleaner and uninterupted viewing experience.

And you'll be supporting us so that we can continue to provide this valuable resource :)

Sample AFF with no advertisements? More..
Back