Qantas Ultimate Amex Travel Insurance

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lynda2475

Qantas
Platinum
Virgin
Red
Hi AFF brains trust, I've always purchased travel insurance for international trips (usually TID, although their coverage seem to have weakened recently) even though I have multiple cards that include travel insurance.

I just booked a QF itinerary using my Qantas Ultimate Amex card which includes the US and have two questions:

1. Policies for purchase usually have unlimited medical expenses, this policy states $2.5M, with crazy cost of healthcare in the US should I be in an accident - is it too reisky to have such a low level of cover?

2. To qualify it says "for which the full fare has been charged to a Qantas American Express Ultimate Card Account (or paid for with equivalent Qantas Points) or with Qantas Travel Credit." does this only apply to the airfare?

Or to be covered for cancellation do all pre-booked arrangements need to be made via Amex (a lot of hotels don't accept it). If I pay via paypal (because a site doesnt take Amex) with linked amex account does this still qualify for coverage?

Thanks.

Never mind, ended up buying a policy from World2Cover, $50 cheaper than TID (for higher cover) and gives me peace of mind re medical.

Never mind, ended up buying a policy from World2Cover, $50 cheaper than TID (for higher cover) and gives me peace of mind re medical.

Re Amex Travel Insurance

As a refugee from a Platinum Rewards card, I had looked at an Amex card, but arn't impressed with their policy - it not only contains a strict activation criteria, as above, it excludes coverage for health conditions, such as circulatory conditions irrespective of when they occured (eg high cholestrerol 20 years ago), and exclusions from many activities. I've found policies with the big banks are much more generous.

Also only covers the primary cardholder, even if your spouse has a supplementary card you dip out.

Re Amex Travel Insurance

As a refugee from a Platinum Rewards card, I had looked at an Amex card, but arn't impressed with their policy - it not only contains a strict activation criteria, as above, it excludes coverage for health conditions, such as circulatory conditions irrespective of when they occured (eg high cholestrerol 20 years ago), and exclusions from many activities. I've found policies with the big banks are much more generous.

Is that with all AmEx cards? I understand different AmEx cards have different coverage (and different level of customer care); isn't that the case?

Is that with all AmEx cards? I understand different AmEx cards have different coverage (and different level of customer care); isn't that the case?
Thats true, but a lot of the key exemptions in these policies are the same from policy to policy.

I think you need to carefully check these policies before relying on them.

For me, the restrictions on converage are a deal breaker, and the only reason I''m keeping my CBA Platinum for the moment is the insurance cover

Last edited:
Thats true, but a lot of the key exemptions in these policies are the same from policy to policy.

I think you need to be carefully check these policies before relying on them.

For me, the restrictions on converage are a deal breaker, and the only reason I''m keeping my CBA Platinum for the moment is the insurance cover

I have made two claims in the last ten years or so: one through AmEx (Plat Edge) and one through Bankwest World MC. With AmEx, they were looking for something, anything, to reject the claim (and they indeed ended up rejecting it). With the claim through Bankwest, they couldn't be more helpful; they called me a couple of times for further clarification (and I got the sense they were genuinely trying to help); and the claim was successful and was settled straight away.

I have made two claims in the last ten years or so: one through AmEx (Plat Edge) and one through Bankwest World MC. With AmEx, they were looking for something, anything, to reject the claim (and they indeed ended up rejecting it). With the claim through Bankwest, they couldn't be more helpful; they called me a couple of times for further clarification (and I got the sense they were genuinely trying to help); and the claim was successful and was settled straight away.

Perhaps supporting that experience, I couldn't find clear defintions of of many of the terms in the AMEX policy.

Last edited:
Whereas my experience was totally different.
Son broke his arm in Switzerland, and once proof of points and taxes was provided - they could not have been more helpful.
Constant calls to check on him and see how he was going -
Especially since we were only half way through the trip - had further expenses in Canada.
Even paid the mountain rescue bill sent to my house 3 months after we got home !
Never once an argument

Whereas my experience was totally different.
Son broke his arm in Switzerland, and once proof of points and taxes was provided - they could not have been more helpful.
Constant calls to check on him and see how he was going -
Especially since we were only half way through the trip - had further expenses in Canada.
Even paid the mountain rescue bill sent to my house 3 months after we got home !
Never once an argument

That is excellent; the way it should be. Which card did you use for the complimentary travel insurance?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back