Huge tax bill - How to make the best of it?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Glider22

I have a large personal income tax bill coming up for FY18 ($200-250k)

I am curious to find out if there is a way to make the best of via gaining rewards points for paying the ATO?

- I have not applied for a credit card for about 4 years
- I have an ABN

On another forum one member was kind enough to recommend this solution, I would love to know if anyone has any suggestions or improvements to this:

"First, apply the amex explorer card, activate it, spend enough to get the bonus point
Second, apply the amex edge card, activate and call amex a few times to get both cards linked under the ascent program
Third, pimp out the amex explorer card by paying your taxes in chunks of 10k via rewardspay @ 2.64% surcharge. Don't over do it though, like don't go positive balance by A large amount. you can max your credit, then bpay to clear the balance, and rinse and repeat. usually one payment takes about 48-72 hours.

in the end you will get 400,000 to 500,000 rewards points @ 1.32 cent per point. ( amex points are generally worth 2 cent as they are flexible). That flight along is $25,000 return.

296 K Krisflyer point can get you from Australian to Europe in Suite class with return. :D, That flight along is $25,000 return. Esssentially, you paid a surcharge of $3907.2 for a flight rewards worth $25,000, tax free."

If I have posted this in the wrong section feel free to move this post.

Thanks!

That's how we pay our tax. A good deal in my opinion.

There are cheaper ways to earn points, so it depends whether your priority is (1) maximizing the number of points earned or (2) minimizing the cost per point.

That's how we pay our tax. A good deal in my opinion.

There are cheaper ways to earn points, so it depends whether your priority is (1) maximizing the number of points earned or (2) minimizing the cost per point.

So sounds like the suggestion in the OP is pretty decent?

Would be the way to maximise the number of points?

Do you have a suggestion for minimising cost per point?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back