Jetstar (Macquarie) Mastercard does council rates and rego spend count?

Status
Not open for further replies.

cyberdiamond

Qantas
Bronze
Virgin
Gold
As per title thinking about grabbing the Jetstar (Macquarie) Mastercard with the zero annual fee and $150 Jetstar dollars as I will need to take a Jetstar flight in the next 6 months.

I have just got a virgin ff card so the next three months spend on general items will be going on that card but they are more clear about any government spend does not count at all so it would be useful on the Jetstar card.

Reading the Jetstar terms and conditions it is really unclear as it just says Government spend.

Can anyone confirm council rates and rego spend does or doesn't count towards the $1000 spend or any special way(s) to pay them that would earn the points?

The conditions say,
"Jetstar Dollars do not accrue and Qantas Points cannot be earned on:
• GST and government charges (including fines paid to any government agency)
• payments made to the Australian Tax Office
• interest and other bank fees and charges (including any GST payable on any of these)
."

I can see why it is somewhat ambiguous. Are car registration and Council rates government charges? Or are they the repurchase of a registration about to expire, and payment for services provided by the local council?

Similarly, they list payments to the ATO specifically as being excluded, but don't list payments of land tax to various State agencies - does that mean they are eligible?

I too hope that someone here can provide clarification based on their past experience.
Regards,
Renato

Last edited:
I've been rechecking this, and the conditions for the bonus dollars states,
"Your bonus Jetstar Dollars will be credited to your Jetstar Mastercard account within 60 days of meeting the spend requirement, provided you are not in breach of the Conditions of Use and your account remains open. Eligible purchases exclude balance transfers, cash advances, cash substitutes and other restricted transactions. ."

While "GST and government charges (including fines paid to any government agency)" don't earn Jetstar dollars, they may or may not be "restricted transactions".

There may be hope. I just noticed that to qualify for the 40,000 points on the Qantas Money Everyday Card requires a spend of $2000 per month, but it doesn't say it has to be spent on eligible purchases.
Regards,
Renato

I paid a $1000 water bill with my Jetstar Mastercard to a non-government water company, which qualified me for the bonus 150 Jetstar dollars.

The easy way to tell whether payments qualified turned out to be that Jetstar has already creditted me with 10 Jetstar dollars for the $1000 transaction.
Regards,
Renato

Status
Not open for further replies.

Enhance your AFF viewing experience!!

From just $6 we'll remove all advertisements so that you can enjoy a cleaner and uninterupted viewing experience.

And you'll be supporting us so that we can continue to provide this valuable resource :)

Sample AFF with no advertisements? More..
Back