Best points earning card for international spend

Status
Not open for further replies.

andy2015

What is the best credit card in the market for points earning on international spend?

Thanks for any help.

I use Coles MasterCard. No OS fee and gives velocity points that transfer 0.87point per dollar. With the regular transfer bonus, works out to 1pt/$. Only catch is you can only transfer 60,000 va points per year.

Same as Scr77. CMC (Black - Rewards), with an FX rate that has proven in practice to be equivalent to the Mastercard base rate. It's practically spot, as proven on a recent RTW across multiple countries.

But with the FB/EY partnership in purgatory at the moment, the FB points earned aren't of awful value after the yearly VA transfer cap is exhausted. Then again there's FB travel...heaven forbid.

Last edited:
I use Coles MasterCard. No OS fee and gives velocity points that transfer 0.87point per dollar. With the regular transfer bonus, works out to 1pt/$. Only catch is you can only transfer 60,000 va points per year.

The Coles/Flybuys MasterCard also suits me just fine. The 15% bonuses for transfers to Velocity are frequent enough that I can almost always transfer at a 2:1 rate, meaning an effective earn rate of 1 Velocity point per dollar. Given there are no international transaction fees on that card I'm happy with this.

I do miss the ability to transfer Flybuys points to Etihad, though. That was great while it lasted. Now that's gone, I'm not sure what I'll do if I ever reach the annual limit on Velocity transfers...

I do miss the ability to transfer Flybuys points to Etihad, though. That was great while it lasted. Now that's gone, I'm not sure what I'll do if I ever reach the annual limit on Velocity transfers...

OT, but I’m at my transfer limit for the year. I’d be wrapped to find a way of transferring more.

What is the best credit card in the market for points earning on international spend?
given that there is only 4 credit cards off the top of my head that dont charge an overseas transaction fee, and only 3 that earn points the field is very limited.
Bankwest, ANZ, or Coles, pick the one that suits you best.

If being fee free isn't a criteria, there are several that will earn at two points per dollar.

I’d also fully recommend the Coles Mastercard offering. I’ve been using it very effectively, the FX rates are very good and the effective points earn of 1pt/$ (assuming 15% flybuys transfer bonus) is good too.

I have the silver Coles M/C earning fewer points, but is it the same good fx rates does anyone know? It’s my back card and is free.

OT, but I’m at my transfer limit for the year. I’d be wrapped to find a way of transferring more.

There's always FlyBuys travel :p

...which I've seriously considered at times, because with a balance of 4m+, I don't think Velocity can ever clear it out in my entire life of frequent flying, assuming no rule changes.

Still holding my breath that the FB/EY relationship gets fixed. The fact that they haven't said it's 'permanently' gone still provides some reassurance.

Oh and to keep myself on-topic, I've also seriously considered the BW World MC before. This might be the card I switch to if FB/EY is to be confirmed axed.

I’d also fully recommend the Coles Mastercard offering. I’ve been using it very effectively, the FX rates are very good and the effective points earn of 1pt/$ (assuming 15% flybuys transfer bonus) is good too.

We should all be clear that this is the Coles Rewards (Black) Mastercard. Not the Coles 'No Annual Fee' (White) or Coles 'Low Rate' (Red) Mastercards, which don't have many of the benefits touted in this thread.

Thanks for all the responses. I should have mentioned originally that depending on points earn fees isn't an issue. I just saw the Amex Westpac Black gives 2.5 velocity on international. Nothing like the old Citi Prestige?? :(

CBA Diamond Amex has no forex fees and gives 1.2 QF points per $ on foreign spend - great card to have solely for this purpose (not worth using at home).

CBA Diamond Amex has no forex fees and gives 1.2 QF points per $ on foreign spend - great card to have solely for this purpose (not worth using at home).
I’m looking to try out the CBA Diamond Amex for the first time this week.
Have you tested the exchange rate used by CBA Vs 28 Degrees? If CBA turns out to match the 28* rate, then I’ll be using it O/S whenever I can. As you say, 1.2 QF ppd...

Last edited:
It's not ideal, but we will be using the Citi Prestige which gives 3ppd or 1.2KF/1.5VFF per AUD$. (not the 5ppd it once was...)
Standard foreign transaction fee. We will also use Explorer Amex and Citi debit card. We looked at a few options but the extra fees outweighed the savings for us on this trip. It is the only reason I have kept the Citi Prestige and I will cancel when we arrive home to look at further options.

Thanks for all the responses. I should have mentioned originally that depending on points earn fees isn't an issue. I just saw the Amex Westpac Black gives 2.5 velocity on international. Nothing like the old Citi Prestige?? :(

- Yes that would be the highest for 2.5 Velocity Points per $ with the next being the Amex Exp/Edge combo at 2 points per $ on all spend.
- International Fee Free for Velocity best would be the Coles Mastercard mentioned above for a 1 Point Per $ when transfer bonus is around.
- For Qantas 2 Points per $ with the Westpac Amex, and another more complicated option 1 Point per $ via the Qantas Premier Platinum Mastercard with No Currency Fee via Divipay.

The AMEX Platinum Charge earns 2pts/$ in all forigen currency transactions, which is good, but it is at the cost of a 3% fee.

The AMEX Platinum Charge earns 2pts/$ in all forigen currency transactions, which is good, but it is at the cost of a 3% fee.

I hate this card in Australia as the Platinum one in the US does not have foreign fees.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back