Amex Platinum Charge Card 90,000 referral bonus points new as of 17/10/17

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hammando

Hi Guys

Amex have 90,000 bonus points for the American Express Platinum Charge Card which is 10,000 points higher than the general sign up bonus of 80,000. I recieve 30,000 for a referral.

http://amex.com.au/refer/jameshyHTj

Bonus & Eligibility. Offer only available to new American Express Card Members who apply online, are approved and spend $1,500 on their new Card in the first 3 months from the Card approval date. This is a limited time offer which may be withdrawn or changed at any time without notice. Card Members who currently hold or who have previously held any Card product issued by American Express Australia Limited in the preceding 18 month period are ineligible for this offer. Bank-issued: (Australia New Zealand Banking Group Limited, Commonwealth Bank of Australia, National Australia Bank, Westpac Banking Corporation) previous and existing American Express Cardholders are eligible for this offer. 90,000 Membership Rewards Bonus Points will be awarded to the eligible Card Member’s account 8-10 weeks after the spend criteria has been met. This advertised offer is not applicable or valid in conjunction with any other advertised or promotional offer.

The Amex Platinum Charge card is a great card for people who travel, with all the status perks, travel credits and lounge access.

• Earn 3 points per $1 spent at restaurants in Australia5
  • Earn 2 points per $1 spent on airlines, accommodation and spend in foreign currency
  • Earn 1 point per $1 spent on everything else, except those in the 0.5 points category
  • Earn 0.5 points per $1 spent on utilities, telecommunications companies, non American Express provided insurance and government bodies
The earn rate threshold is 300,000 points per year at which point the earn rate reverts to 1 point or 0.5 points per $1 spent thereafter

This card has A LOT of perks!

Ability to transfer point to Qantas
$300 Travel credit (and $400 travel credit with the Platinum Reserve, so total of $700 every year)
Complementary Priority Pass membership for member and one supplementary cardholder.
Domestic Virgin Australia Lounge Access for cardholder and one guest.
Delta Sky Club Membership
American Express Lounge Access
American Express Platinum Card insurance
Gold Elite Club Carlson membership
Starwood Gold Membership (which is also Gold Marriott and Ritz Carlton membership)
Shangri-La Golden Circle Jade Membership
Hilton Honors Gold Membership

Amex are so far ahead of everyone else at the moment. Great Sign on Bonuses, Great points earn, Statement Credits, Local Champion, Retention offers, Referral bonuses.

Here is a tip to anyone signing up for this card to derive even more value from the card. If you find this useful I'd very much appreciate you using my referral link.

This card comes with 4 free supplementary cards and It is possible to add yourself as a supplementary card holder, I just did this with Amex. When you add yourself as a supplementary card holder it is called an "Account Card" or "A/C" card. I did this with my initials rather than full name to tell the cards apart. There are people on AFF who have had all 4 free supplementary's issued in their own name!

Why would you do this?

1. Twice a year Amex have been running promotions where they give either 3,000 or 5,000 points for adding a supplementary cardholder.
2. One of the best things about Amex at the moment is their Statement Credit offers. I have saved a couple of thousand dollars from the cashbacks this year. Shop small, Harvey Norman, HCF, David Jones, Langtons, Westfield and Myer to name a few. Never hurts to have as many Supplementary cards as possible especially in your own name especially when this card comes with 4 free supplementary's.
3. The reason behind an A/C card is you set up all your direct debits on this card and then keep it safe at home somewhere separate from your other card/wallet. Then if you lose your wallet you don't need to change over all of your direct debits.

Although unadvertised, the Platinum Charge Card comes with the accompanying Platinum Reserve card which comes fee free with the Platinum Charge Card, you get another 4 free supplementary cards, so potentially 10 Amex cards all up. The Reserve companion card pools its points to Ascent rather than Ascent Premium Membership Rewards Program, but is often automatically linked to the Ascent Premium account of the Platinum Charge. If it isn't automatically linked you can call Amex to have the accounts linked. Also note that sometimes Amex make you apply separately for the Reserve Account (they did to me, but not a friend). So it was another hit on my Veda file. The Platinum Reserve comes with an annual $400 travel credit!

There are some great tips on this site on how to get the most out of this card, make sure you subscribe to these threads:

Amex Statement Credits have saved me thousands this year.
http://www.australianfrequentflyer.c...62256-291.html (New [Amex] statement credits)

For when your annual fee is approaching call and ask them "What have you done for me lately?" I got 84,000 points to keep this card and an additional 84,000 on my American Express Platinum Edge.
http://www.australianfrequentflyer.c...-71493-11.html (Amex "I'm going to cancel my card" bonus given thread.)

The Amex Platinum Charge with its Ascent Premium Membership Rewards points has become even more valuable with the addition of the Amex Explorer card (my referral link for this card is in the appropriate thread). When combined and points pooled to the Ascent Premium `program the Explorer card earns 2 airline points per $.

Hope everyone is able to get some value from the above. Any queries please let me know. Love this site, love this card!

Last edited:
Hi Guys

Amex have 90,000 bonus points for the American Express Platinum Charge Card which is 10,000 points higher than the general sign up bonus of 80,000.

Bonus & Eligibility. Offer only available to new American Express Card Members who apply online, are approved and spend $1,500 on their new Card in the first 3 months from the Card approval date. This is a limited time offer which may be withdrawn or changed at any time without notice. Card Members who currently hold or who have previously held any Card product issued by American Express Australia Limited in the preceding 18 month period are ineligible for this offer. Bank-issued: (Australia New Zealand Banking Group Limited, Commonwealth Bank of Australia, National Australia Bank, Westpac Banking Corporation) previous and existing American Express Cardholders are eligible for this offer. 90,000 Membership Rewards Bonus Points will be awarded to the eligible Card Member’s account 8-10 weeks after the spend criteria has been met. This advertised offer is not applicable or valid in conjunction with any other advertised or promotional offer.

The Amex Platinum Charge card is a great card for people who travel, with all the status perks, travel credits and lounge access.

• Earn 3 points per $1 spent at restaurants in Australia5
  • Earn 2 points per $1 spent on airlines, accommodation and spend in foreign currency
  • Earn 1 point per $1 spent on everything else, except those in the 0.5 points category
  • Earn 0.5 points per $1 spent on utilities, telecommunications companies, non American Express provided insurance and government bodies
The earn rate threshold is 300,000 points per year at which point the earn rate reverts to 1 point or 0.5 points per $1 spent thereafter

This card has A LOT of perks!

Ability to transfer point to Qantas
$300 Travel credit (and $400 travel credit with the Platinum Reserve, so total of $700 every year)
Complementary Priority Pass membership for member and one supplementary cardholder.
Domestic Virgin Australia Lounge Access for cardholder and one guest.
Delta Sky Club Membership
American Express Lounge Access
American Express Platinum Card insurance
Gold Elite Club Carlson membership
Starwood Gold Membership (which is also Gold Marriott and Ritz Carlton membership)
Shangri-La Golden Circle Jade Membership
Hilton Honors Gold Membership

Amex are so far ahead of everyone else at the moment. Great Sign on Bonuses, Great points earn, Statement Credits, Local Champion, Retention offers, Referral bonuses.

Here is a tip to anyone signing up for this card to derive even more value from the card. If you find this useful I'd very much appreciate you using my referral link.

This card comes with 4 free supplementary cards and It is possible to add yourself as a supplementary card holder, I just did this with Amex. When you add yourself as a supplementary card holder it is called an "Account Card" or "A/C" card. I did this with my initials rather than full name to tell the cards apart. There are people on AFF who have had all 4 free supplementary's issued in their own name!

Why would you do this?

1. Twice a year Amex have been running promotions where they give either 3,000 or 5,000 points for adding a supplementary cardholder.
2. One of the best things about Amex at the moment is their Statement Credit offers. I have saved a couple of thousand dollars from the cashbacks this year. Shop small, Harvey Norman, HCF, David Jones, Langtons, Westfield and Myer to name a few. Never hurts to have as many Supplementary cards as possible especially in your own name especially when this card comes with 4 free supplementary's.
3. The reason behind an A/C card is you set up all your direct debits on this card and then keep it safe at home somewhere separate from your other card/wallet. Then if you lose your wallet you don't need to change over all of your direct debits.

Although unadvertised, the Platinum Charge Card comes with the accompanying Platinum Reserve card which comes fee free with the Platinum Charge Card, you get another 4 free supplementary cards, so potentially 10 Amex cards all up. The Reserve companion card pools its points to Ascent rather than Ascent Premium Membership Rewards Program, but is often automatically linked to the Ascent Premium account of the Platinum Charge. If it isn't automatically linked you can call Amex to have the accounts linked. Also note that sometimes Amex make you apply separately for the Reserve Account (they did to me, but not a friend). So it was another hit on my Veda file. The Platinum Reserve comes with an annual $400 travel credit!

There are some great tips on this site on how to get the most out of this card, make sure you subscribe to these threads:

Amex Statement Credits have saved me thousands this year.
http://www.australianfrequentflyer.c...62256-291.html (New [Amex] statement credits)

For when your annual fee is approaching call and ask them "What have you done for me lately?" I got 84,000 points to keep this card and an additional 84,000 on my American Express Platinum Edge.
http://www.australianfrequentflyer.c...-71493-11.html (Amex "I'm going to cancel my card" bonus given thread.)

The Amex Platinum Charge with its Ascent Premium Membership Rewards points has become even more valuable with the addition of the Amex Explorer card (my referral link for this card is in the appropriate thread). When combined and points pooled to the Ascent Premium `program the Explorer card earns 2 airline points per $.

Hope everyone is able to get some value from the above. Any queries please let me know. Love this site, love this card!

happy to also refer to the plt charge card at 90k bonus

this is certainly the best card for earn for anyone spending more that 50k a year as you can move points to all the gret airlines Singapore Air, Etihad,Cathay,Virgin.

please use my link i get oints as well
regards Ros
http://amex.com.au/refer/roslybabFZ

AMEX has revised the offering on their premium Platinum Charge Card to 90,000 sign-on bonus points. This offer, linked here and doesn't currently have an expiry date.
Whilst the 90k bonus points might sound like a pretty good deal, and to me it is, there is a catch and it's a relatively large catch - the card comes with a $1200 annual fee. As a standard rule I'm not much into paying annual fees for credit cards (with the AMEX Edge and this card as the exception), so how can I justify such a large annual fee?! Well here is my logic on why this card is a great deal:
  • 90,000 Membership Rewards points – pretty simple really – based on my numbers I value this at $2200-$3100 (annual fee covered right there!) – a little more on this later.
  • Points can be transferred to massive variety of partners – Qantas FF, Virgin Velocity, Kris Flyer and Cathy Pacific Asia Miles and some more valuable ones via SPG (AAdvantage, BA Executive Club & Alaska Miles etc) – no other (non-invite only) Australian Credit Card can boast this!
  • $300 Annual Travel Credit with American Express Travel – value $300 (clearly)
  • The option for an additional $400 annual Travel Credit if you apply for a FREE Platinum Reserve companion card – you’ll need to ring AMEX after approval to arrange an application for this (value to me $400+)
  • Unlimited Virgin Australia / Priority Pass / AMEX & Delta Lounge Access – a bit more subjective this one but, I value it at around $250. As a rule I’m not big on paying for lounge access, so it is hard for me to put a value on it. The Virgin Australia domestic lounge access speaks for itself - they are excellent these days and have a good network. Once outside Australia, the Priority Pass lounge network that is hard to surpass! If you are prepared to pay for lounge access then this benefit would easily be worth $900+++
  • Access to AMEX Cash Backs and Small Shop Offers – I wasn’t even aware of this benefits until the last couple of years - and boy was I missing it previously!! The total value of AMEX statement credits and Shop Offers last year, for me, was $1500. That is some pretty epic value! AFF has a really good thread covering these offers here: AMEX Statement Credits.
  • NRMA style roadside assistancevalue about $90 (hopefully you or I never need this one!!)
A Quick Card Summary:
  • 90,000 Membership Rewards bonus points after spending $1500 in first two months after card activation
  • A $300 Platinum Travel Credit each year, can be redeemed online for airfares, car hire and hotel bookings – I’ve done it quite recently for my card and it was very simple
  • Complimentary access to more than 800 airport lounges in 100 countries, including Virgin Australia Lounges, Priority Pass, Delta Skymiles and American Express Lounges
  • Dedicated Platinum Concierge Service to take care of travel plans, tickets or dinner reservations
  • Earn up to 3 Membership Reward points per dollar – I should mention I value MR points at 2.5-.3.5c/point
  • Transfer your points to a choice of 10 airline rewards programs:
    • Qantas Frequent Flyer, Virgin Australia Velocity Frequent Flyer, Emirates Skywards, Etihad Guest, Virgin Atlantic Flying Club, Singapore Airlines KrisFlyer, Air New Zealand Airpoints, THAI Royal Orchid Plus, Malaysia Airlines Enrich and Cathay Pacific Asia Miles
    • And the best bit, transfers to AAdvantage, BA Executive Club & Alaska Miles, amongst others are possible through SPG (Starwood Preferred Guest)
  • Transfer your points to leading hotel programs: Hilton HHonors, Priority Club Rewards, Starwood Preferred Guest
  • Complimentary enrolment into elite tier of hotel partner programs including Club Carlson, Starwood Preferred, Hilton Honors.
  • Complimentary worldwide Travel Insurance and Purchase Protection Insurance
  • Great savings on First and Business Class fares with some of the worlds leading airlines through the AMEX Platinum Airline Privileges program
So as you see, you can really get some value out of this card, especially with the current sign-on bonus. How to value the current AMEX offer, this is always a challenging task, but I will give it a go. Whilst putting a value on reward points is always very subjective, I personally value AMEX membership reward points at 2.5-3.5c/point. Based on this, the bonus points from the current offer are worth $2200-$3100. Perhaps a less subjective way is to provide some basic concrete examples, the 90k points redeemed for Virgin Australia economy SYD-MEL flights is worth around $2000 – not a bad deal, but this is probably a really poor use of these points. Better value would be flying Business class return on Qantas/CX/BA Australia to Europe by redeeming the points through Cathy Pacific Asia Miles. You'll need 85k-110k AMEX points for these redemptions – Qantas charge $5000+ for these flights, so not a bad deal at all! Of course for supreme value you could try your luck at a Singapore Airlines Suite – using AMEX points is the only way I’m ever seeing the inside of one of those!!! :)
If you add in all the other benefits in too, the total value of this offer to me is in the order of $4700-$5700!! Not a bad deal at all in my mind!!
As I started off with, if you like the sound of the Platinum Charge Card then I'd really recommend you get on the bandwagon. Any referral link from this forum, or elsewhere, should do the trick, but make sure the AMEX page that loads explicitly says 90,000 points. I always recommend printing a PDF copy of the page before beginning the process in case there are any problems later - that way you always have a record! If you'd like to use my Referral link is HERE, my sincere thanks and good luck to anyone applying! I'm happy to take questions via PM too on this card (or anything else), no obligations whatsoever.
Footnote:
Here, here , here and here are three articles I've found helpful with understanding the changes currently shaping the Australian Credit Card market. With the RBA changes to interchange fees now in effect, we've seen most banks devalue their credit card reward programs accordingly. ANZ, CBA, NAB and Citibank (inc Diners) have already made their changes and they aren't pretty!! AMEX issued cards are exempt from the new rules and as such are just going to represent better and better value! 2017 has proven to be a game changing year in the Australian credit card market place and AMEX is securing its place as the market leader (by a long way) for those of us to love to collect FF points!
Referral Link HERE
PS - Whilst applying for new credit cards offers can be really great value (and can even be addictive), please only apply for a card you can afford! No sign-on bonus, no matter how big, is worth a lifetime of debt, so please don't put points ahead of financial security!!
PPS - AMEX are also currently offering the refree (myself, if you choose to use my link) 30k bonus points for anyone that signs-up using a referral link. I'm planning a trip away with the family at the end of this year so will be putting any referral bonus points to excellent use.

Closed my Plat charge account a year ago and currently hold an Edge and an Explorer. Has anyone in my situation received the bonus sign on points despite the 18-month exclusion stipulation?

Closed my Plat charge account a year ago and currently hold an Edge and an Explorer. Has anyone in my situation received the bonus sign on points despite the 18-month exclusion stipulation?

Based on all the recent experiences I’ve read about here and elsewhere, unfortunately you won’t qualify for the signon bonus. It’s a real pity but it seems Amex have made a real effort to remove some of the handy loop holes in their computer system.

If you decide to go ahead and succeed please let me know.

Good luck!

AMEX has revised the offering on their premium Platinum Charge Card to 90,000 sign-on bonus points. This offer, linked here and doesn't currently have an expiry date.
Whilst the 90k bonus points might sound like a pretty good deal, and to me it is, there is a catch and it's a relatively large catch - the card comes with a $1200 annual fee. As a standard rule I'm not much into paying annual fees for credit cards (with the AMEX Edge and this card as the exception), so how can I justify such a large annual fee?! Well here is my logic on why this card is a great deal:
  • 90,000 Membership Rewards points – pretty simple really – based on my numbers I value this at $2200-$3100 (annual fee covered right there!) – a little more on this later.
  • Points can be transferred to massive variety of partners – Qantas FF, Virgin Velocity, Kris Flyer and Cathy Pacific Asia Miles and some more valuable ones via SPG (AAdvantage, BA Executive Club & Alaska Miles etc) – no other (non-invite only) Australian Credit Card can boast this!
  • $300 Annual Travel Credit with American Express Travel – value $300 (clearly)
  • The option for an additional $400 annual Travel Credit if you apply for a FREE Platinum Reserve companion card – you’ll need to ring AMEX after approval to arrange an application for this (value to me $400+)
  • Unlimited Virgin Australia / Priority Pass / AMEX & Delta Lounge Access – a bit more subjective this one but, I value it at around $250. As a rule I’m not big on paying for lounge access, so it is hard for me to put a value on it. The Virgin Australia domestic lounge access speaks for itself - they are excellent these days and have a good network. Once outside Australia, the Priority Pass lounge network that is hard to surpass! If you are prepared to pay for lounge access then this benefit would easily be worth $900+++
  • Access to AMEX Cash Backs and Small Shop Offers – I wasn’t even aware of this benefits until the last couple of years - and boy was I missing it previously!! The total value of AMEX statement credits and Shop Offers last year, for me, was $1500. That is some pretty epic value! AFF has a really good thread covering these offers here: AMEX Statement Credits.
  • NRMA style roadside assistancevalue about $90 (hopefully you or I never need this one!!)
A Quick Card Summary:
  • 90,000 Membership Rewards bonus points after spending $1500 in first two months after card activation
  • A $300 Platinum Travel Credit each year, can be redeemed online for airfares, car hire and hotel bookings – I’ve done it quite recently for my card and it was very simple
  • Complimentary access to more than 800 airport lounges in 100 countries, including Virgin Australia Lounges, Priority Pass, Delta Skymiles and American Express Lounges
  • Dedicated Platinum Concierge Service to take care of travel plans, tickets or dinner reservations
  • Earn up to 3 Membership Reward points per dollar – I should mention I value MR points at 2.5-.3.5c/point
  • Transfer your points to a choice of 10 airline rewards programs:
    • Qantas Frequent Flyer, Virgin Australia Velocity Frequent Flyer, Emirates Skywards, Etihad Guest, Virgin Atlantic Flying Club, Singapore Airlines KrisFlyer, Air New Zealand Airpoints, THAI Royal Orchid Plus, Malaysia Airlines Enrich and Cathay Pacific Asia Miles
    • And the best bit, transfers to AAdvantage, BA Executive Club & Alaska Miles, amongst others are possible through SPG (Starwood Preferred Guest)
  • Transfer your points to leading hotel programs: Hilton HHonors, Priority Club Rewards, Starwood Preferred Guest
  • Complimentary enrolment into elite tier of hotel partner programs including Club Carlson, Starwood Preferred, Hilton Honors.
  • Complimentary worldwide Travel Insurance and Purchase Protection Insurance
  • Great savings on First and Business Class fares with some of the worlds leading airlines through the AMEX Platinum Airline Privileges program
So as you see, you can really get some value out of this card, especially with the current sign-on bonus. How to value the current AMEX offer, this is always a challenging task, but I will give it a go. Whilst putting a value on reward points is always very subjective, I personally value AMEX membership reward points at 2.5-3.5c/point. Based on this, the bonus points from the current offer are worth $2200-$3100. Perhaps a less subjective way is to provide some basic concrete examples, the 90k points redeemed for Virgin Australia economy SYD-MEL flights is worth around $2000 – not a bad deal, but this is probably a really poor use of these points. Better value would be flying Business class return on Qantas/CX/BA Australia to Europe by redeeming the points through Cathy Pacific Asia Miles. You'll need 85k-110k AMEX points for these redemptions – Qantas charge $5000+ for these flights, so not a bad deal at all! Of course for supreme value you could try your luck at a Singapore Airlines Suite – using AMEX points is the only way I’m ever seeing the inside of one of those!!! :)
If you add in all the other benefits in too, the total value of this offer to me is in the order of $4700-$5700!! Not a bad deal at all in my mind!!
As I started off with, if you like the sound of the Platinum Charge Card then I'd really recommend you get on the bandwagon. Any referral link from this forum, or elsewhere, should do the trick, but make sure the AMEX page that loads explicitly says 90,000 points. I always recommend printing a PDF copy of the page before beginning the process in case there are any problems later - that way you always have a record! If you'd like to use my Referral link is HERE, my sincere thanks and good luck to anyone applying! I'm happy to take questions via PM too on this card (or anything else), no obligations whatsoever.
Footnote:
Here, here , here and here are three articles I've found helpful with understanding the changes currently shaping the Australian Credit Card market. With the RBA changes to interchange fees now in effect, we've seen most banks devalue their credit card reward programs accordingly. ANZ, CBA, NAB and Citibank (inc Diners) have already made their changes and they aren't pretty!! AMEX issued cards are exempt from the new rules and as such are just going to represent better and better value! 2017 has proven to be a game changing year in the Australian credit card market place and AMEX is securing its place as the market leader (by a long way) for those of us to love to collect FF points!
Referral Link HERE
PS - Whilst applying for new credit cards offers can be really great value (and can even be addictive), please only apply for a card you can afford! No sign-on bonus, no matter how big, is worth a lifetime of debt, so please don't put points ahead of financial security!!
PPS - AMEX are also currently offering the refree (myself, if you choose to use my link) 30k bonus points for anyone that signs-up using a referral link. I'm planning a trip away with the family at the end of this year so will be putting any referral bonus points to excellent use.

Just letting you know that I've used your referral link about a month ago because of your detailed break down on how you see the benefits totalling > $1200 annual fee. I was just going to use a random referral link, but yours stood out! Thanks for your contribution, and hope you enjoy the 30k bonus points :D

Looking at the AMEX Platinum charge card? Okay, let's start with the two elephants in the room : the $1,200 annual fee and the $100,000 minimum income requirement.

"Whaaaaaat?", I hear you say? Yes, twelve hundred big ones and six figures! It's something that deterred me from getting the card for a couple of years, but I've finally bitten the bullet, and honestly wish I'd done so sooner, because when you look at it more closely, it's actually not as pricey or restrictive as it sounds.

For starters, the $100k income rule isn't personal income, it's household income. My partner and I both work full-time, which means our combined income is in the six figures. Even though I applied for the card in my own name (not joint liability), AMEX considered my partner's income as part of the application process, so I had no problems qualifying.

Next, that $1,200 annual fee. Definitely, it's not cheap, but in return, the card comes jam-packed with travel perks that are easily worth more than the fee for those who travel (which, I imagine, is most people on this site!). Here are just some of the perks and what they're 'worth':
  • $300 travel credit to use on things like flights and hotels each year, taking the real 'cost' of the $1200/year card down to $900 if you'd otherwise spend $300/year on travel.
  • Unlimited Virgin Australia domestic lounge access with one guest when flying VA. Normally, you'd pay $750 in the first year and $420/year thereafter for a VA lounge membership, or for less frequent flyers, $65 per person per lounge visit or $300/year for Velocity Silver members.
  • Unlimited Delta Sky Club access when flying Delta. Normally, Delta charges $59USD ($76AUD) per lounge visit, so just three visits and that's $228 in value.
  • Two unlimited Priority Pass memberships (each with one free guest per visit) for access to over 1,100 airport lounges around the globe when flying with any airline. In Sydney, Melbourne and Brisbane, you can also swipe your Priority Pass card for $36 of food and drink credit at a range of food outlets in the terminals, or $72 if you ask them to process your purchase with 'one guest', which is free for AMEX Platinum members. That's $72 of food and drink every time you fly, which adds up very quickly... and if you give that second Priority Pass membership to your travel companion (e.g. your wife), they can swipe their card too for up to $72 of extra food and drink credit, for a total of $144 every time you both pass through the airport... that's a lot of food and coughtails! Normally, just one unlimited membership would cost about $525 per year ($1,050 of value for the two free memberships you get), and even then, that doesn't include the free additional guest, making these memberships even more valuable!
  • Unlimited access to AMEX and Plaza Premium lounges with two guests, which includes Sydney (AMEX lounge), Melbourne (AMEX lounge coming soon), Brisbane (Plaza Premium lounge), and many places overseas, including the awesome new AMEX Centurion Lounge in Hong Kong. The value of each visit varies, but is usually at least $50. Four visits and that's at least $200 in value.
  • Free Hilton Honors Gold, ShangriLa Golden Circle Jade, SPG Gold and Club Carlson Gold memberships which offer a variety of perks like room upgrades, free daily breakfast, bonus points on stays, free welcome gifts etc (varies by hotel chain). Link your SPG account to Marriott Rewards and you'll also get free Marriott Gold, and link your ShangriLa account to Taj Hotels for free Taj InnerCircle Gold memberships too. Let's say you book with a chain that gives free brekky and you're staying with someone at the hotel - that's probably about $60/night in added value from that alone (given how much hotel breakfasts normally costs), so spend 10 nights in hotels a year and that's $600 in value, on top of any extras you might get like room upgrades, access to hotel executive lounges.
That's only a handful of the perks included with this card, and already, that's ~$2800 in value in return for your $1200 annual fee, giving you a substantial 'return' on your yearly investment!

If you want to push that even further, you can ask AMEX for a free companion Platinum Reserve credit card, which has no annual fee but includes an extra yearly $400 travel credit ($400 + the $300 you get from the Platinum Charge, so $700 in yearly travel credits instead of $400).

Speaking of extra cards, you can also have up to four supplementary cardholders at no extra cost. Give those supplementary cardholders the Platinum Charge card and they'll enjoy many of the perks above like unlimited Virgin Australia, Delta and Plaza Premium lounge access, at no extra cost.

And last but not least, that leaves frequent flyer points, which you'll earn in the AMEX Membership Rewards Ascent Premium scheme.

From there, your points can be converted to 10 airlines at a 1:1 rate, including Qantas, Virgin Australia Velocity, Singapore Airlines KrisFlyer, Cathay Pacific Asia Miles, Emirates Skywards, Etihad Guest, Malaysia Airlines Enrich, Thai Airways Royal Orchid Plus, Virgin Atlantic Flying Club, and Air New Zealand Airpoints. This is the only personal card in the Australian market which allows you to manually convert points to Qantas Frequent Flyer.

Points can also be converted to Hilton Honors at a 1:1 rate, and to Starwood Preferred Guest (SPG) at a 2:1 rate... but how many points will you earn?

For starters, use my referral link and you can earn 90,000 Ascent Premium points (90,000 frequent flyer points) when you spend at least $1,500 on the card in the first three months. That's 10,000 points more than AMEX's standard offer when you apply without using a referral link.

You can also earn:
  • 3 points per $1 spent at restaurants in Australia
  • 2 points per $1 spent on all overseas spend, and with airlines and hotels in Australia
  • 1 point per $1 spent everywhere else in Australia, except:
  • 0.5 points per $1 spent with Australian government bodies, utilities, insurance companies and telcos
After earning 300,000 points per year, those higher 3/$1 and 2/$1 rates are reduced to 1/$1 (there's still no cap, you just earn fewer points), but if you get that free Platinum Reserve credit card to go alongside your Platinum Charge (the card mentioned earlier with the extra $400/year travel credit), you'll earn points at the rates above but without limit: a great option for high spenders as you'll earn 3/$1 at restaurants and 2/$1 overseas and on Aussie travel spend without that 300k ceiling.

I think that just about covers it, so what are you waiting for?

You can apply online today!

If you have any questions about the card, I'm also more than happy to answer them based on my experiences with AMEX's flagship card.

I do hope you've found the summary above useful, however, and would greatly appreciate you applying through my referral link, which benefits us both: you get more bonus points than if you'd applied the 'normal way' (90,000 vs 80,000), and I'll earn a nice 30,000 bonus points which will come in handy for a trip to Europe I'm planning. :)

Honestly can't do any better than the excellent summary of the card above. :)
as it stands, 90,000 points for the applicant, and 30,000 for the referral

plat reserve
Dropbox - Platinum Reserve Credit Card - App_Dec 2014 (1).pdf

Much appreciated, happy point collecting :)

Just use your link to applied for the Plat Charge so hopefully the 30,000 bonus points will find you well , i won't be receiving the bonus as i already hold the Explorer . I got approved and they said cards will be in the mail within 5-7 days , not sure how long until i received this in Sydney Metro and how to setup Priority Pass membership ( this , lounge access and hotel status is the main reason for this card ) . Could be useful for the trip coming up in FEB

Just use your link to applied for the Plat Charge so hopefully the 30,000 bonus points will find you well , i won't be receiving the bonus as i already hold the Explorer . I got approved and they said cards will be in the mail within 5-7 days , not sure how long until i received this in Sydney Metro and how to setup Priority Pass membership ( this , lounge access and hotel status is the main reason for this card ) . Could be useful for the trip coming up in FEB

A very big thankyou! I believe you can setup PP straight away and get a digital card via the app (iphone only maybe?) to use right away.

..., not sure how long until i received this in Sydney Metro and how to setup Priority Pass membership ( this , lounge access and hotel status is the main reason for this card ) . Could be useful for the trip coming up in FEB

I my experience the card should be delivered in about 4-6 business days. And I do believe if you are in a hurry for the Priority Pass I believe another AFF'er had recent success with getting Priority Pass activated before receiving their card by calling AMEX.

I my experience the card should be delivered in about 4-6 business days. And I do believe if you are in a hurry for the Priority Pass I believe another AFF'er had recent success with getting Priority Pass activated before receiving their card by calling AMEX.

Thank for the info , traveling on 1st FEB so i will give AMEX a call to see what can they do

Amex Charge Platinum Card - designed for high end frequent traveller

Great card for frequent travellers, this card comes with below benefit.
1, Received 900k premium ascent rewards points when you apply and spent $1,500 within first 3 months of card membership;
2, Receive up to $300 travel credit P.A, this is best to spend on domestic flight (e.g, Qantas or Virgin), as airfare on amex travel is exactly the same as it is on Qantas or Virgin website;
3, 2 x complimentary membership to Priority pass, just this benefit alone is worth over au$1,000 (Cost per Priority pass prestige membership is us$399 P.A).
4, Receive complimentary Gold (or equivilent level) membership for top range hotel chain, car rental & golf membership. E.g., Starwood gold member, shangri-la Jade member, hilton gold member etc;
5, Up to 3 points per dollar spent;
6, Complimentary travel insurance when you use this credit to book return flight of your trip;
7, Purchase protection insurance;
8, Complimentary Virgin Australia for your and one of your guest every time you travel with Virgin Australia;
9, As a platinum charge card holder, you could also get Amex reserve card for free which means you will get additional $400 travel credit as a reserve card holder.

It would be greatly appreciated if you could apply this card using this refer link, http://amex.com.au/refer/jingh5aYc
You will receive 90k points and I will receive 30k points as referral, this would help to make my 1st business class oversea trip come a lot sooner.
Annual fee is $1200, but if you balance all above benefit it is well worth the annual fee. This card may not suit every one, but would be a fantastic card to have if you are frequent traveler. I am happy to answer all related queries regarding all amex card!

The Frequent Flyer Concierge team takes the hard work out of finding reward seat availability. Using their expert knowledge and specialised tools, they'll help you book a great trip that maximises the value for your points.

AFF Supporters can remove this and all advertisements

I'll throw my hat in the ring :)
90K bonus points for signing up for the American Express Platinum Charge Card which is 10K points higher than the general sign up bonus of 80K. I receive 30K for a referral.
My link: https://idap-e3.americanexpress.com...charge?CPID=100204836&GENCODE=349992384419691
I'll throw my hat in the ring :)
90K bonus points for signing up for the American Express Platinum Charge Card which is 10K points higher than the general sign up bonus of 80K. I receive 30K for a referral.
My link: https://idap-e3.americanexpress.com...charge?CPID=100204836&GENCODE=349992384419691
I would be hanging off this current offer as they increased the points on the business charge card and the Ultimate and ?explorer.
Thats my intention anyway

Amex Charge Platinum Card - designed for high end frequent traveller

Great card for frequent travellers, this card comes with below benefit.
1, Received 90k premium ascent rewards points when you apply and spent $1,500 within first 3 months of card membership;
2, Receive up to $700 travel credit P.A*, this is best to spend on domestic flight (e.g, Qantas or Virgin), as airfare on amex travel is exactly the same as it is on Qantas or Virgin website;
3, 2 x complimentary membership to Priority pass, just this benefit alone is worth over au$1,000 (Cost per Priority pass prestige membership is us$399 P.A).
4, Receive complimentary Gold (or equivilent level) membership for top range hotel chain, car rental & golf membership. E.g., Starwood gold member, shangri-la Jade member, hilton gold member etc;
5, Up to 3 points per dollar spent;
6, Complimentary travel insurance when you use this credit to book return flight of your trip;
7, Purchase protection insurance;
8, Complimentary Virgin Australia for your and one of your guest every time you travel with Virgin Australia;
9, As a platinum charge card holder, you could also get Amex reserve card for free which means you will get additional $400 travel credit as a reserve card holder.

It would be greatly appreciated if you could apply this card using this refer link, https://idap-e3.americanexpress.com...charge?CPID=100204836&GENCODE=349992398404598
You will receive 90k points and I will receive 30k points as referral, this would help to make my Euro trip dream come much sooner!
Annual fee is $1200, but if you balance all above benefit it is well worth the annual fee. This card may not suit every one, but would be a fantastic card to have if you are frequent traveller. I am happy to answer all related queries regarding all amex card!

*To obtain $700 travel credit, you also need to apply for Amex reserve credit card. As a platinum charge card holder you will be able to get reserve for free (no annual fee) and this card comes with $400 travel credit P.A.

This is a very useful for those who travel a lot. From the $700 travel credit (when applying for the complimentary Reserve card), to the various hotel statues, and the Priority Pass membership, this card will easily offset its step annual fee $1200 PA if one travels frequently.

Another feature that I was able to use recently, was the car hire excess cover, where by booking with the card I was covered for a punctured tire which the rental company wanted to charged me $300 excess but I was reimbursed by AMEX.

Apply now for 90k Membership rewards points and I will receive 30k points.

http://amex.com.au/refer/kennytg6E2

Happy huting

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back