Is this points earn worth the fee?

Status
Not open for further replies.

BB1

Hi Folks,
Reaching out to the brains trust here to see if this is worth doing?
I have a $27000 spend (not ATO) to do today and it can be paid via credit card.
Fee is $270

Westpac Black Alitude Rewards are $1 = 1.25 Alitude points
Points earn would be 33,750 Alitude points
Altitude points to Velocity points is 2 to 1 so that = 16,875 Velocity Points which makes them 1.6c per point
Altitude points to Krisflyer miles is 2.5 to 1 so that = 13,400 Krisflyer miles which makes them 2c per mile

If I've worked that out right!

Is that worth the fee or better to just pass on this opportunity??

Any advice appreciated

I guess it depends if you have a specific flight in mind that you will use the points on-tends to be some depreciation of value over time. Certainly if you use the points towards a J or F redemption they should be worth more than the costs you have utlined-do you already have points stashed away in Velocity or Kris?

We are currently banking points in Altitude rewards as they can be transferred to 5 different airlines reward schemes.

Total points in the bank is 1.4 million which = 571K Krisflyer or 714K Velocity at current redemption rates.

Aim is for using them for J (maybe F) for long haul in the next year or so

Do you need the points?
If yes, can you get them elsewhere cheaper?
I think only you can decide if its worth it.
I draw the line at 1% surcharge if more than that i dont bother.

Points value might be worth more than 1% to me but i am not smart enough. 1% is easy to remember.

I wonder if the OP's business or whatever is being paid for is aware that they can only charge what the bank charges them for a cc fee?

Only you can decide how much you want/need/value the points. In my view the cost is fair, not good, but fair. I'd do it.

Altitude Black is poor value for the non AMEX spend (your calculations are for the MasterCard which pay out half). I’d see if I could pay on the AMEX or else try with a better Visa or MasterCard earner.

I wonder if the OP's business or whatever is being paid for is aware that they can only charge what the bank charges them for a cc fee?

Not all business's have bank charges of less than 1%. In my case, and for the sector I am in, as my volumes are not high they are over 2%.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back