MikeG

Qantas
Gold
Virgin
Silver
Oneworld
Sapphire
Hi guys,

My wife currently has the Qantas Ultimate Amex and we scored 100,000 FF points (eventually) but the experience has been an absolute nightmare. Although I just need to blink to be offered a limit increase, her card has a limit of $5K and its take dozens of calls to get them to agree to increase it to $8k. I spend ~$30k a month on this card, and I'm sick of topping it up every week or so.

I've come to the conclusion that I need to cancel this card and get another. Should I go the same card, or is there a better one? Not fussed on features, I also have a Qantas Premier Mastercard, so I would like to earn 1.5+ points per dollar on the Amex.

I also have a Westpac Black card set, but the earning is woeful hence I'm phasing that card set out.

Thoughts?

Hi guys,

My wife currently has the Qantas Ultimate Amex and we scored 100,000 FF points (eventually) but the experience has been an absolute nightmare. Although I just need to blink to be offered a limit increase, her card has a limit of $5K and its take dozens of calls to get them to agree to increase it to $8k. I spend ~$30k a month on this card, and I'm sick of topping it up every week or so.

I've come to the conclusion that I need to cancel this card and get another. Should I go the same card, or is there a better one? Not fussed on features, I also have a Qantas Premier Mastercard, so I would like to earn 1.5+ points per dollar on the Amex.

I also have a Westpac Black card set, but the earning is woeful hence I'm phasing that card set out.

Thoughts?

What about the Platinum Charge Card? Yes the fee is high, but it sounds like this could be a good fit for you. The fee can also be offset a little more by getting the Platinum Reserve companion credit card which comes with an extra $400 travel credit, on top of the $300 received from the Platinum Charge Card.

Based on your outlined spend, I'd have to second the Platinum Charge card. As previously stated the card is expensive but can be offset by the annual travel credit and the free Platinum Reserve companion card (which you'd probably need, given your spend), which comes with the additional $400 annual travel credit.

The card also comes with some pretty handy features, which you might be able to make use of. For example, free lounge access, hotel status etc.

Depending on your spend pattern this card earns the following:
- 3pts / $ for resturants
- 2pts / $ on airline and travel spend
- 1pt / $ on everything else (except govt. spend)

The card also comes with heaps of airline transfer partners, usually at the 1:1 rate. Qantas and Velocity often offer transfer bonus from transfers of points from this card. These transfer bonuses can be as large as 30%.

I believe AMEX is currently offering a sign-on bonus of 100k points for this card. I'd recommend heading over to the referrals thread for this card and using one of the links. That way you can share the points bonus around with other AFF members!

Good luck in your quest for a new card!

I'm struggling to see the value when a Qantas Ultimate Amex does 1.5 points per $ on what I'm likely to spend on for my business (not restaurants or flights) and 2.5 points per dollar on Qantas Flights. It also gives $400 per year on flights after booking your first qantas flight each year.

Am I missing something?

I'm struggling to see the value when a Qantas Ultimate Amex does 1.5 points per $ on what I'm likely to spend on for my business (not restaurants or flights) and 2.5 points per dollar on Qantas Flights. It also gives $400 per year on flights after booking your first qantas flight each year.

Am I missing something?

Nope nothing at all. The best card for an individual will depend on their spend pattern and FF program of choice.

I personally try to redeem any flights I want to take on QF through Cathy Pacific or another partner program, as the redemption rates through partners tend to be much better. The Amex charge, with ascent premium rewards, makes redemption through Cathy Pacific very easy. It also facilitates redemption through AA, BA, Alaska etc, via SPG, which isn't available on a lot of other cards. All of this is more effort on my part, no doubt, but I end up getting a much better redemption rate, which appeals to me.

The other option that might appeal to you is to get a Platinum Charge card, which will give you a AMEX Membership Rewards (MR) Ascent Premium account. Then you could open an AMEX Explorer card and have it linked to your MR Ascent Premium program. This would allow you to earn 2pts/$ on everything! An earn rate that is very hard to beat in Australia! If you waited for a 25%+ transfer bonus to Qantas, that would given an effective earn rate of 2.5pts/$(+) on everything except govt spend.

As I said though, it is very much a horses for courses thing, so your individual mileage may vary.

As ANZ already dropped the Amex and NAB to follow shortly, with regard to sign up bonuses does it matter if I have an Amex corporate card?
Looking for an Amex with a good sign on bonus and a decent point / dollar ratio, however don't want to get burnt (read miss sign on bonus) due to having an Amex corporate card.
TIA folks.

As ANZ already dropped the Amex and NAB to follow shortly, with regard to sign up bonuses does it matter if I have an Amex corporate card?
Looking for an Amex with a good sign on bonus and a decent point / dollar ratio, however don't want to get burnt (read miss sign on bonus) due to having an Amex corporate card.
TIA folks.
I think your safest bet may be with the David Jones AMEX card, which seems to sit outside of a standard AMEX. 3 pts per dollar at major supermarkets and petrol stations for this card.

Recent referral link for this card located here:

David Jones Amex Express - newer offer 50,000 bonus $99 plus 5,000 for each supp card

Last edited:
TIA folks.

I think your safest bet may be with the David Jones AMEX card, which seems to sit outside of a standard AMEX. 3 pts per dollar at major supermarkets and petrol stations for this card.

I can confirm that +1 received the sign-on bonus for the DJ AMEX despite having received the sign-on bonus for a QF Ultimate just 6 weeks before.

Sign-on bonus for the DJ card is 30,000 which converts to 22,500 QF points (not sure about VA). Best thing is you only have to spend 3 times outside of DJs within the first month (and NO minimum spend) to get the bonus. Fee for the basic card is $99. +1 can send you a referral if you wish.

JV

So safe to say the fact I have an Corporate Card excludes me from most of the Amex issued sign on bonuses (explorer, plat edge, etc)?

So safe to say the fact I have an Corporate Card excludes me from most of the Amex issued sign on bonuses (explorer, plat edge, etc)?
David Jones may still be possible as it's a separate system.

TIA folks.

When you corporate card you mean one issued by your employer? Not a “personal” business card?

If it is the former, eg issued by a big corporation then you shouldn’t be excluded from the signon bonuses, as I understand the rules.

When you corporate card you mean one issued by your employer? Not a “personal” business card?

If it is the former, eg issued by a big corporation then you shouldn’t be excluded from the signon bonuses, as I understand the rules.
That is exactly my scenario and what I was trying to ascertain. Work issued corporate amex card (no way to opt out of having the card) so based on that I wouldn't want to apply for an edge/explorer and not receive the bonus.

That is exactly my scenario and what I was trying to ascertain. Work issued corporate amex card (no way to opt out of having the card) so based on that I wouldn't want to apply for an edge/explorer and not receive the bonus.

I have a corporate Amex card and I received the 100k bonus a couple of months ago on a personal Amex Velocity Card. I would contact Amex for clarification in case this has changed.

I have a corporate Amex card and I received the 100k bonus a couple of months ago on a personal Amex Velocity Card. I would contact Amex for clarification in case this has changed.

Pleased to hear the personal experience and it’s exactly what makes sense too. It would be silly of Amex to limit access to bonus points because of an employers choice of cards, but then again stranger things have happened...

I can confirm that +1 received the sign-on bonus for the DJ AMEX despite having received the sign-on bonus for a QF Ultimate just 6 weeks before.

Sign-on bonus for the DJ card is 30,000 which converts to 22,500 QF points (not sure about VA). Best thing is you only have to spend 3 times outside of DJs within the first month (and NO minimum spend) to get the bonus. Fee for the basic card is $99. +1 can send you a referral if you wish.

JV

Further to the above, I can confirm that it works the other way, as well.

+1 sent me a referral for the QF Ultimate. Despite my already having a DJ Amex, she received 30k for the referral and I've just received the 100k sign-on bonus points.

So in summary, you can receive the sign-on bonus for an Amex issued card despite have a DJ Amex; and you can receive the sign-on bonus for the DJ Amex despite already having an Amex issued card. And the person who refers you can receive the 30k referral points in both instances.

I'll post a referral link in the appropriate thread(s).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back