Qantas offers a special type of reward ticket known as the “Oneworld Award”. This ticket can be used to book a round-the-world trip with up to five stopovers!
The outstanding flexibility of the Oneworld Award means you can travel almost anywhere in the world. It’s also unbeatable value, costing just 140,000 Qantas points in Economy or 280,000 points for Business class.
While the Oneworld Award can be used to travel around the world, this is actually not a requirement. You can book almost any combination of flights, provided the following rules are adhered to:
- You may fly up to 35,000 miles (56,315km) in total
- Up to 5 stopovers are allowed (transits of under 24 hours do not count towards this stopover allowance)
- You may take up to 16 flight segments in total
- Your itinerary must include at least two oneworld member airlines other than Qantas. There is no requirement to fly on Qantas, however you may not fly on any airline that is not a member of the oneworld alliance (such as Emirates or Jetstar).
Oneworld Awards can be redeemed in four different classes of travel and are priced as follows:
- Economy: 140,000 Qantas points + taxes
- Premium Economy: 210,000 Qantas points + taxes
- Business: 280,000 Qantas points + taxes
- First: 420,000 Qantas points + taxes
The Business Class Oneworld Award for 280,000 is exceptionally good value!
The amount of taxes payable in addition to the points will vary depending on the airlines used, the exact routing, exchange rates and a range of other factors. As a very rough guide, the tax component is often around $1,000 per passenger – although this may be considerably more or less.
To give you an idea of the value of Oneworld Awards, these are two (of many) possible itineraries:
Itinerary 1: Departing Perth with stopovers in Hong Kong, Vancouver, New York, London & Athens
Itinerary 2: Departing Brisbane with stopovers in Buenos Aires, São Paulo, Johannesburg, Berlin & Tokyo
There are a few other key points to be aware of:
- “Surface sectors” (where you fly into one airport and depart on your next flight from a different airport) are permitted and count as one stopover
- The entire booking will be priced according to the highest class of travel used
- There is a maximum of one stopover and two transits permitted in any single airport
- You don’t necessarily need to return to the same airport that you commenced travel from, however the distance between your final destination and the origin airport will be included in distance calculations.
A Oneworld Award booking costs almost the same number of Qantas points as a simple round-trip award booking from Australia to London or New York. So, if you’ve been thinking about travelling around the world, this is truly an excellent use of points!
For some simple itineraries, it is possible to book Oneworld Awards by using the multi-city booking tool on the Qantas website. However, in most cases you’ll need to phone the Qantas call centre to make the booking. There is a $60 phone booking fee.
Before you call Qantas to make the booking, it’s a good idea to do some research and check for award seat availability on the flights you wish to book. You can check for award seats on many airlines using the Qantas website, although award seats on Japan Airlines, Malaysia Airlines, S7 Airlines and LATAM Airlines are not shown online.
Once you’ve found suitable flights, you’ll just need to make sure that your itinerary meets all of the Oneworld Award routing rules.
Would you like help with planning your Oneworld Award booking?
If you’d like to book a Oneworld Award using your Qantas points but don’t know where to start, the Award Flight Assist service offered by Frequent Flyer Solutions can help!
The Frequent Flyer Solutions team takes the hard work out of redeeming your points. Just let them know how many points you have and where you’d like to go, and they can find the perfect flights for you! You’ll receive the results within 3 business days in the form of an easy-to-read report which includes clear, detailed booking instructions.
If you’re struggling to find suitable award flights, you’d like to maximise the value of your points while minimising taxes, or perhaps you find all of the routing rules confusing, the Award Flight Assist service is perfect for you!